The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
corndog71
david kurek
6 posters

STA 35 Integrated

david kurek

STA 35 Integrated Empty STA 35 Integrated

Post by david kurek Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:16 pm

I think these are rare. I am lucky to have one. Does anyone know how to use a subwoofer with this? There is an extra single speaker output for "center speaker" Can I use this output without blowing anything up? Thanks, Davie
    corndog71
    corndog71

STA 35 Integrated Empty Re: STA 35 Integrated

Post by corndog71 Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:51 pm

That additional speaker hook-up was something devised 50 years ago.  Definitely NOT for subwoofer use!  (It's only a 17.5 watt/ch amp!)

You could try the "To Tape Record" outputs to a sub.
    sailor

Post by sailor Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:04 pm

I think you mean SCA35 and I have one. Corndog is right, but. Unfortunately the SCA has no line stage and the tape out is before the volume control. There are no low level outputs after the volume control. This means you will have to adjust the volume separately on the sub. every time you adjust the volume on the SCA. The best thing to do is to buy a Sub. with a remote volume and hook it to the tape out. That way you can adjust the SCA volume then sit in your favorite location and then adjust the sub. The SCA has good bass response so you might want to listen to it before you add the sub. If you have any questions about the SCA I can probably answer them.
    aguaazul
    aguaazul

Post by aguaazul Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:33 pm

Before I got my Bozak speakers I was searching for a way to share my powered sub with my PAS3 & ST-70. I ended up using the Energy EAC Active Crossover. It is very adjustable and is exactly what I needed.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:45 pm

Best bet might be to get a powered sub that has line level capability. Feed your pre to that, then stereo out to the Dynaco. Either use the internal woof if provided or an external speaker driven by the sub amp.

I'm assUming you'd get a whole lot more punch as bass can take a whole lot more watts than your tuber can supply. The sub amp should also have an adjustable crossover to limit what's passed to the Dynaco and stereo speakers if you like to drive it hard and have distortion. You won't get much sound stage out of anything lower than maybe 120hz anyway, so mono's great when you get down that far.
    zx

Post by zx Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:53 pm

Mapleshade....Site has a lot of free tweeks.....
    This setup works great i have ever used Big tube an SS amps...like krell KSA250 with two subs..It take vary littel  power form the Amp...... it a high to low convarter..... .an even $100.subes from bestbuy have speker input....An i have found two $100ea subs sound better than one $599 sub...hehe
    .Have fun with tubes....in 2014...gofig

http://www.mapleshadestore.com/upgrades_subwoofer.php

Get Vastly Cleaner Bass and Seamless Integration for Your Sub

For achieving seamless integration of the subwoofer sound in both two channel and surround systems, always use the speaker cable input on the sub, never the RCA line level input. That means adding a pair of speaker cables, one end connected to the same amp (or receiver) output posts that are driving the left and right mains and the other end connected to the left and right speaker-level inputs on the sub. The quality of the cables to the sub affects the sound of the main speaker cables, so don’t use bad-sounding zipcord or high end “garden hoses.” Make sure you leave the two main speakers connected directly to the main amp outputs, not to the subwoofer’s output binding posts. If you’re using a processor, set it to “Large Speaker” for the mains (or for all speakers) and turn off the LFE channel.

More info on the site..........Frees for me!

Thanks for the site Bob................................................

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 pm