The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Wiring diagram for new PAS3 selector switch?

MexicoMike

Wiring diagram for new PAS3 selector switch? Empty Wiring diagram for new PAS3 selector switch?

Post by MexicoMike Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:28 pm

I purchased a new selector switch from Tubes4HiFi for my Pas3. The wiring list with the switch is based on a revised PAS3 with other boards, not an oem PAS 3. Does someone have a diagram/pic of the wiring for that switch if used on a completely OEM Pas3?

Thanks for any help.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Wiring diagram for new PAS3 selector switch? Empty Re: Wiring diagram for new PAS3 selector switch?

Post by Bob Latino Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:17 pm

Hi Mike,

Check our 2010 link on our forum here for the Dynaco PAS-3 pictorial > Dynaco PAS-3 pictorial link

Bob
    MexicoMike

Wiring diagram for new PAS3 selector switch? Empty Re: Wiring diagram for new PAS3 selector switch?

Post by MexicoMike Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi Bob, thanks for that but what I'm looking for is a pic or explanation of wiring the single-wafer selector  switch to operate with the totally stock PAS - just to replace the oem switch.  The single wafer switch seems designed to operate with a different wiring scheme than oem and I want the Pas to operate as OEM.  

It appears, for example, that the new switch requires that the phono input goes from the input jacks to the phono board and then from the output of the phono board to the selector switch.  But I want all the inputs to work as they do on the oem preamp, with the same routings through the various oem systems - loudness, tone controls, scratch filter, etc.

Perhaps that's not possible with the single wafer switch or I'm just missing the obvious...which is entirely possible. Smile
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:13 pm

I guess I misinterpreted your first post ... Where did you get the single wafer switch for the PAS-3? Did you not get any wiring instructions from the vendor of the switch ?

Bob
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:36 pm

MexicoMike wrote:Hi Bob, thanks for that but what I'm looking for is a pic or explanation of wiring the single-wafer selector  switch to operate with the totally stock PAS - just to replace the oem switch.  The single wafer switch seems designed to operate with a different wiring scheme than oem and I want the Pas to operate as OEM.  

It appears, for example, that the new switch requires that the phono input goes from the input jacks to the phono board and then from the output of the phono board to the selector switch.  But I want all the inputs to work as they do on the oem preamp, with the same routings through the various oem systems - loudness, tone controls, scratch filter, etc.

Perhaps that's not possible with the single wafer switch or I'm just missing the obvious...which is entirely possible. Smile

I _think_ i have one brand new original pas-3 switch if you need one. The point with
    the original is that it mutes the unused inputs, the radio will not "leak" into the phone even if the
    radio is not switched off. I am not shire that the replacement one does.
    MexicoMike

Post by MexicoMike Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:40 pm

I got the switch from Roy and yes, it does have a pinout diagram but it appears designed to work with modified boards and without the routing through the various filters/etc.  I did not ask if the switch would work with a totally oem Pas,  I just made that assumption when I ordered it (item #4 on this page:  http://www.tubes4hifi.com/PAS3-CAT.htm.

There are various caps/resistors on the oem selector that I cannot see how they can be switched in/out as necessary on the single wafer switch.  But since the listing says it's a "replacement" for the original, I thought it was a simpler version of the original switch but I have concluded - perhaps wrongly - that it can't actually replace the original if the original functions are to remain.  Am I correct in that conclusion?

Peter - sorry, I posted the above before seeing your message. Thanks - I'll let you know re a new OEM switch if I need to go that way
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:04 pm

the new selector switch that I sell is intended to provide a modern switch and does come with wiring directions,
    but from your note (MexicoMike) the only way you can do what the OEM switch did is use a 3 wafer switch like the original.
    I have a couple of old used ones, and sounds like PeterH has a new one.
    MexicoMike

Post by MexicoMike Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:47 pm

Thanks for the info - I came to that conclusion so I'll just leave the oem switch in place. It works fine but I liked the simple look of the "new" one.
    MexicoMike

Post by MexicoMike Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Further - Of course there are several inputs on the oem switch/jacks that, like everyone else nowadays, I have no use for but I don't need any additional line or phono inputs either so having one phono and two others that function at line level is all I need.

Question related to the oem switch - the phono input jacks are wired to the selector and routed from there to the phono board. If the phono input jacks are wired directly to the phono board, does everything still function normally as you change the selector switch position? I assume all the phono EQ is done on the board and is not related to any of the caps/resistors on the selector switch, right?
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:31 pm

you might have less noise wiring the phono jacks direct to the inputs of the phono board, then you just need to change the 68pf cap on the board to 820pf,
    and disconnect the wires to the selector that add the 750pf cap.
    The "special" input is for a microphone, that runs thru the phono board, which I don't use when I upgrade PAS3s with a new selector.
    There is also a "sticky" note on the main forum page that details info on updating the phono RIAA EQ, see here:
    https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t1672-pas3-riaa-mod

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:23 am