The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

odd ringing in one speaker

dougmon
    dougmon

odd ringing in one speaker Empty odd ringing in one speaker

Post by dougmon Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi:

I have a problem that I'm trying to diagnose -- I get a sort of oscillating ringing sound out of one tweeter.

I'm assuming it's a microphonic tube, but I'm not sure, and I'd really appreciate it if some folks here could chime in with their opinions on what it might be.

thanks in advance,

Doug
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

odd ringing in one speaker Empty Re: odd ringing in one speaker

Post by Bob Latino Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:31 pm

dougmon wrote:Hi:

I have a problem that I'm trying to diagnose -- I get a sort of oscillating ringing sound out of one tweeter.

I'm assuming it's a microphonic tube, but I'm not sure, and I'd really appreciate it if some folks here could chime in with their opinions on what it might be.

thanks in advance,

Doug

Hi Doug,

This IS probably, as you mentioned, a microphonic tube. It's more likely a driver tube than an output tube ..

Try swapping out a new tube one at a time in each driver position (in a tube amp)

Bob
    dougmon
    dougmon

Post by dougmon Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:41 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    dougmon wrote:Hi:

thanks in advance,

Doug

Hi Doug,

This IS probably, as you mentioned, a microphonic tube. It's more likely a driver tube than an output tube ..

Try swapping out a new tube one at a time in each driver position (in a tube amp)

Bob

Thanks. I was thinking it might be a preamp tube. I did the test of swapping the two outer tubes on the driver board, and the ringing didn't move. I just need to get a few new substitute tubes or just swap the two preamp tubes.

I was wondering also if it could be traced to the rectifier, either in the preamp or the amp.

And...sorry, I have to ask...if swapping the tubes doesn't do it, do you have any other ideas?

Oh...I have to add this...it only starts when both the preamp and amp have been on for a while.

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited by dougmon on Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:37 pm

if it's only on one channel, then it's either a tube in that channel, or the tweeter itself is bad.
    BTW, on an VTA70 or VTA120 amp, the center tube is used for BOTH channels
    (all the tubes are dual triodes, the center one is the gain amp for the left AND right channels)
    dougmon
    dougmon

Post by dougmon Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:57 am

I had some 5814s, put one in the left, figured I might as well have matched tubes on both sides, and so put another one in the right. The ringing seems to have gone away, though I reserve judgement. I like the way it sounds with the 5814s, so I'll probably put a third one in the middle position and check it out.

Thanks for the advice, Bob and Roy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm