The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

EL34 / KT77 Types?

TXFlyGuy
    TXFlyGuy

EL34 / KT77 Types? Empty EL34 / KT77 Types?

Post by TXFlyGuy Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:26 pm

Does anyone have experience (or suggestions) on the following tube brands: Gold Lion, JJ/Tesla, TAD, Ruby, Tung-Sol and
    Electro Harmonix? Other than being expensive, are the
    Gold Lion's that much better?
    Tazsmonn
    Tazsmonn

EL34 / KT77 Types? Empty Re: EL34 / KT77 Types?

Post by Tazsmonn Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:47 pm

Electro Harmonix... Bought 10 pairs when they first came out for my 3 SET amps. Have had 1 die & the other originals are running fine. Good on life & sound. I would recommend these as very good current production EL34's.
    kevco
    kevco

Post by kevco Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:07 pm

I have had both the Electro Harmonix 6CA7 and the Ruby EL-34STR. The Electro Harmonix are great sounding and have increased bass response over standard EL-34's but I have noticed some drift in bias with one of my quad and I really should replace it. The Ruby's are a fatter glass than regular EL-34's and have a more robust appearance in an open amp. Other than that I am not impressed with their sound or construction as some lean over in their bases. I believe they are made by Shunguang, China. I am however impressed with NOS Russian 6P3S-E tubes and at between $20-30 a quad they are a bargain. I paid $27 for a tightly matched quad. They have great mids and highs, but are a little lacking in bass until they burn in. The will produce somewhat less power when subbed for EL-34's, but are well worth the small sum of money.
    2turbos

Post by 2turbos Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:20 pm

The 6PES-3 are great tubes. I had Mullard tubes that came with my ST 70 but have run thousands of hours. The Russian 6p's sound nearly equal to or better than the Mullards.

Granted these Mullards have seen better days, I'm sure new ones would be better, but barely I'm guessing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:46 pm