The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Upgrading a stock st70 driver board

cheehpogi

Upgrading a stock st70 driver board Empty Upgrading a stock st70 driver board

Post by cheehpogi Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:28 pm

I would like to seek advice from people who have upgraded their driver board with the tubes4hifi board, not the octal. They have an option that comes assembled and one is a kit. For a person like me who cant read schematics would it be a big task for me? I can always buy the assembled kit but I would like to learn how to do it. Another question is would there be a big difference with regards to how good the sound would be compared to the stock ones, because right now I feel like its too flat compared to my SS integrated amp. My speaker is a KLIPSCH rf-35 with a 98db sensitivity. Thanks and more power.

Chipogi

Upgrading a stock st70 driver board Empty Re: Upgrading a stock st70 driver board

Post by Guest Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:32 am

the most important thing is the quality of your soldering. You should also have a basic understanding of components, to verify their values etc. You don't need to be able to understand electronics, but be able to understand the concept of the wiring diagram and also very important, follow the instructions word by word, triple check all your work before powering up, and you should be just fine!
    cfidave
    cfidave

Upgrading a stock st70 driver board Empty Re: Upgrading a stock st70 driver board

Post by cfidave Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:15 am

I just did the VTA upgrade board. I had Roy send me an assembled board, I didn't want to spend a bunch of time soldering components. The board is a very simple install, and the directions are very good.

As for the improvement, night & day difference from the stock board. Electronically, solid as a rock with voltages, especially steady bias with EH El34's. Sonically there is vast improvement in all areas. Most noticable is bass, and soundstage, especially imaging.

With 98db speaker sensitivity you shake the house with the volume above 3.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:01 pm

you don't need to know anything at all about electronics to "stuff parts onto a PCB" which is really the only difference between the kit and the assembled board.
    If you're not experienced at soldering, it's probably well worth the extra $40 to buy the board assembled, ready to drop into the amplifier.
    You hook up B+, ground, bias, inputs, outputs, and make the filament connections. Turn it on, use a meter to bias the tubes, and you're done. Simple.
    www.tubes4hifi.com/ST70.htm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am