The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Hi-Fi dealer allegedly pulls $180,000 scam ...

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Hi-Fi dealer allegedly pulls $180,000 scam ... Empty Hi-Fi dealer allegedly pulls $180,000 scam ...

Post by Bob Latino Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:04 pm

OK - this has nothing to do directly with Dynaco Tube Audio but stuff like this really pi$$e$ me off and audiophiles should know about this. Probably 99% of all Hi-Fi dealers are good guys but every now and then one dealer will pull some kind of scam.

Check the link below for the case of Mark Schifter of Longmont, CO who runs AV123. Mr. Schifter was recently indicted by a Colorado grand jury for running raffles ostensibly for charity but in reality (the grand jury alleges) he kept over $180,000 of the money over a period of 5 years between 2004 and 2009.

AV123 scam

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hi-Fi dealer allegedly pulls $180,000 scam ... Empty Re: Hi-Fi dealer allegedly pulls $180,000 scam ...

Post by Guest Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:22 am

I'm glad that someone pointed out an example of unscrupulous activity in this business. But I'm not sure if all the other 99% are above scrutiny. This business seems to attract some unsavory types, making false claims, price gouging and so on. They prey on the audiophile insecurities that lie within more than a few of us. Are there companies making up-scale power cords for toaster ovens or T.V.'s? Or maybe high-end batteries for powering digital cameras that claim sharper picture quality? It seems that the high end audio business is unique in this regard - and it's too bad. Thanks to Bob for this post.
    wolverine

Hi-Fi dealer allegedly pulls $180,000 scam ... Empty Re: Hi-Fi dealer allegedly pulls $180,000 scam ...

Post by wolverine Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:58 am

I'll second that emotion from Captain.....as I have always said... "caveat emptor".....}
    JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

Post by JunkyJan Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:21 am

Heh, Bob... I am kinda wary / leery of Audiophile - type dealerships, especially in our larger North American cities... We all know that a quad of Electro Harmonics EL34 tubes sells for around $70 - $90 at places like tubestore.com or tubedepot.com, however I was recently quoted by a brick-and-mortar audiophile store in Vancouver (CA) about $260 for a quad of stock EH EL34 tubes.

I am more than willing to pay a hefty markup in price in a brick-and-mortar store - I mean, I can actually browse around and see "nice goodies" - but being charged almost 4 times as much as real market value is too much for me and smacks of RIP-OFF.

- JunkyJan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content