The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3

bubbasweet
    bubbasweet

Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3 Empty Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3

Post by bubbasweet Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:27 pm

What are suggested Authenti-cap CAN values for the PS-1, PAM-1 and PAS3

I will be recapping them if the MK3 Recap goes well.

Sometimes I notice you guys use higher values in certain spots.

THX

j beede
    j beede

Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3 Empty Re: Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3

Post by j beede Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Order some radial or snap-in electrolytics and set the custom values you want and avoid the can/quad cap altogether. This little module supplies both B+ and filament.

Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3 <a href=Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3 Enova%20power%20supply%202" />
    Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3 <a href=Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3 Verhead" />
    bubbasweet
    bubbasweet

Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3 Empty Re: Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3

Post by bubbasweet Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:47 pm

Wow nice work. I am more interested in what values people are replacing the caps with now. Like the PS-1 has 2 x 10uF caps. I am sure you could go up in value. Not sure how high. Also PAM-1. If anyone has suggestions please post them. I want to redo my pams and ps-1. Looking for what values to increase to.
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:11 am

The PAM uses a 6X4 rectifier so you can safely put about 10µF on pin 7. Put 10µF more on the far side of the 4K7. What do you hope to accomplish by adding more capacitance?
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:17 am

bubbasweet wrote:What are suggested Authenti-cap CAN values for the PS-1, PAM-1 and PAS3

I will be recapping them if the MK3 Recap goes well.

Sometimes I notice you guys use higher values in certain spots.

THX

Refreshing pas3 psu is easiest done via one of the replacement boards, triode has one
    http://triodeelectronics.com/sdslacabofor1.html
    Another one that comes mounted and tested is tubes4pro : http://tubular-well.se/images/stories/virtuemart/product/tubes4pro-pas.jpg  ( i have only seen this one on ebay, but i can help with contacting the author  Mr Chong ) This latter board also has the option of installing 2 Si diodes to replace the 12x4, this will save the hard loaded transformer a lot. Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3 Tubes4pro-pas
    GP49

Post by GP49 Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:43 pm

I mounted capacitors upside down on the chassis with silicone adhesive on an insulating plate, and hardwired them, including dropping resistors and the rectifiers for the filament supply!
    bubbasweet
    bubbasweet

Post by bubbasweet Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:38 am

j beede wrote:The PAM uses a 6X4 rectifier so you can safely put about 10µF on pin 7. Put 10µF more on the far side of the 4K7. What do you hope to accomplish by adding more capacitance?

Less hum?
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:29 pm

bubbasweet wrote:
    j beede wrote:The PAM uses a 6X4 rectifier so you can safely put about 10µF on pin 7. Put 10µF more on the far side of the 4K7. What do you hope to accomplish by adding more capacitance?

Less hum?
    I see you are guessing.. Wrong.
    Hum in pas comes from cabling , the caps are more then enough.
    stewdan

Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3 Empty Caps for PAS-2 or PAS-3

Post by stewdan Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:22 pm

Question for j beede --- could you post a picture of the bottom side of your Capacitor/Filament Supply Board?

Thanks in advance!!
    bubbasweet
    bubbasweet

Post by bubbasweet Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:41 am

peterh wrote:
    bubbasweet wrote:

Less hum?

So you are saying higher cap values in a power supply does not take out excess ripple? I was always told it did. I do however agree the 6X4 is supposed to not be higher than 10uF as it may be hard on the rectifier tube.

To be honest it I don't really have a hum problem. It seems that for the MK3s anyway, everyone recommends higher cap values so I was just carrying this idea forward with the PS-1 and the PAMs I have. Is it not the same?
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:19 am

bubbasweet wrote:
    peterh wrote:
    bubbasweet wrote:

Less hum?

So you are saying higher cap values in a power supply does not take out excess ripple? I was always told it did. I do however agree the 6X4 is supposed to not be higher than 10uF as it may be hard on the rectifier tube.

To be honest it I don't really have a hum problem. It seems that for the MK3s anyway, everyone recommends higher cap values so I was just carrying this idea forward with the PS-1 and the PAMs I have. Is it not the same?

More capacitance reduces hum up to a limit. Increasing above this limit will get
    less and less effect, and other sources of hum and noice will be dominating.

Increasing caps in MkIII is motivated ( by some ) not to reduce hum but to increase
    the power reserve for loud parts. PAS is a class-A thing and will consume equal
    amunts of power irrespectivly of signal or volume.
    bubbasweet
    bubbasweet

Post by bubbasweet Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:39 am

Where do you order these?? Kind of cool board.

THX

j beede wrote:Order some radial or snap-in electrolytics and set the custom values you want and avoid the can/quad cap altogether. This little module supplies both B+ and filament.

Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3 <a href=Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3 Enova%20power%20supply%202" />
    Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3 <a href=Suggested Multi-lug Can Cap Values for PS-1 PAM-1 and PAS-3 Verhead" />

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm