The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

A really lame question, but . . .

deepee99
    deepee99

A really lame question, but . . . Empty A really lame question, but . . .

Post by deepee99 Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:07 pm

Bob L, et. al
    Why do we run AC to the filaments?
    DC light bulbs like we used on boats last forever. AC bulbs in the house last maybe for a year or two.
    Maybe there's a reason but I'd like to know it.Is it just the way the xformers are spun? Or does an extra rectifier complicate things?
    Big Harry

A really lame question, but . . . Empty Re: A really lame question, but . . .

Post by Big Harry Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:13 pm

I believe the extra cost to rectify the power to the tube heaters isn't justified in most cases with the exception of low level pre amp tubes such as phono pre amps.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:26 pm

Big Harry wrote:I believe the extra cost to rectify the power to the tube heaters isn't justified in most cases with the exception of low level pre amp tubes such as phono pre amps.

Big Harry hit it right on the nose ..

Bob
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm

Thanks, guys.
    Was just curious. It's not usually that the heater craps out first, anyway.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:24 pm