The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

break in time for vta st70.

rymi

break in time for vta st70. Empty break in time for vta st70.

Post by rymi Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:25 pm

For those that put together the VTA-ST70 kit.

Do you feel that it took some time for the amp to 'break in' before realizing its full potential?

Zimmer64
    Zimmer64

break in time for vta st70. Empty Re: break in time for vta st70.

Post by Zimmer64 Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi,

IIRC the break in was quite short. The tubes needed to settle in for some 30-50 hours. Since then I have stable bias values. I would not worry about it. Just use it and listen to as much music as time allows for. It's a great amp.

Michael
    kaner
    kaner

Post by kaner Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:51 am

I'm convinced speakers need time to break in. I do not believe that speaker cables need a break in period. Capacitors settle in, and resistors drift. Vacuum tubes age.

My tube amps need 30 to 45 minutes to hit that sweet spot after they're powered up.

All of my amps are a mixture of new and old parts. Maybe I've just been lucky but other than the 30 to 45 minute warm up, I have not noticed any additional benefit from hours of break in. I'll probably be raked over the burning filaments for this opinion, but you asked...

Kaner
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:53 am

I felt it took several months for the ST120 to run in. Not only the components like coupling caps but the fresh tubes as well. Upon tube exchanges it may take 100-200 hours, depending upon tubes selected, to hit its stride. Now about 30 minutes to warm up after being powered off.
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:30 pm

I purchased a set of Tung Sol tubes and a Webber SS rectifier soon after getting my amp. And I recall that is took some time for the tubes and perhaps the amp to be conditioned though I do not remember the exact time. However it does take about 20 to 30 minutes for the tubes to become truly alive.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:27 am