The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Pas 3 caps

JNTIT

Pas 3 caps Empty Pas 3 caps

Post by JNTIT Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:48 am

I've got a pas 3, that I want to re cap. Can anyone recommend a place to get some caps? This is my first foray into this so I'm a little hesitant about it, but I've got some mono blocks on the way, so I need to get going. Also thanks again to Bob for the bass pot info. Thanks John
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Pas 3 caps Empty Re: Pas 3 caps

Post by Bob Latino Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:48 pm

JNTIT wrote:I've got a pas 3, that I want to re cap. Can anyone recommend a place to get some caps? This is my first foray into this so I'm a little hesitant about it, but I've got some mono blocks on the way, so I need to get going. Also thanks again to Bob for the bass pot info. Thanks John

Hi John,

Antique Electronic Supply sells the SBE 716P "orange drop" capacitors. I have used over 1000 of these in the past 5 - 6 years. They are always very close to spec. 400 volt rated caps will be fine. To get the exact values just read the values off the cap in there now or check out the board layouts at one of our sticky posts at the link below.

PAS-3 board layouts

Bob
    JNTIT

Post by JNTIT Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks, once again you come through!
    quadaptor
    quadaptor

Pas 3 caps Empty Alternative Caps?

Post by quadaptor Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Are there any other caps that provide better performance, or is this largely a moot point? Thanks
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:46 pm

quadaptor wrote:Are there any other caps that provide better performance, or is this largely a moot point? Thanks

The problem with Dynaco preamps is that they were, from a sound quality point of view, somewhat behind the Dynaco amps. The PAS-2 or PAS-3 preamps have to be heavily modified in order to keep up with the amps. Usually this is done by swapping out the boards for boards with a better designed circuit. Probably the best boards around are the tubes4hifi PAS-3 board set which are very reasonably priced compared to other PAS-2,3 board upgrade sets. The three boards replace the power supply, line stage and phono stage board of a PAS2,3 with a circuit virtually identical to the tubes4hifi SP-8 preamp.

IMHO replacing the caps on a PAS-2,3 with expensive caps is not really cost effective. You are probably better off to just replace them with decent caps that will increase the reliability of the preamp.

If you do want a significant upgrade in sound quality then consider replacing the two boards and the power supply.

Tubes4hifi PAS-2, 3 upgrade board set

Bob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:00 am