The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

Installing 12v amp trigger

scsidude2

Installing 12v amp trigger Empty Installing 12v amp trigger

Post by scsidude2 Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Well i know this is the Dynaco forum but i thought i might get some input on a new amp project. I just bought a Son Of Ampzilla stereo amp to drive my two subs and would like to be able to turn it on and off via my Outlaw 990 Preamp. It seems to me that the 12v triggers on the back of the preamp are designed to supply a continuous 12v to a relay within the amp. Just wondering if anyone has any words of advice for installing a relay to work with preamp triggers. Thanks guys! -Ryan
    scsidude2

Installing 12v amp trigger Empty Re: Installing 12v amp trigger

Post by scsidude2 Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:41 pm

Well, i ended up just picking up a 30A 12VDC relay from Radioshack along with a 3.5mm headphone jack and installed it in a metal power strip from walmart. The whole thing cost 25 bucks and works great. Did run into a problem at first though where the 12v from the preamp didn't provide enough power to overcome the tension of the spring in the relay but some stretching took care of that. It was a fun project and i would recommend it.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:14 am