The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Speaker Wire from Roy

Speaker Wire  from Roy Empty Speaker Wire from Roy

Post by Guest Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:12 pm

I purchased 15 feet of the new speaker wire from Roy, I have to say, I almost spent over $400 at Morrow Wire. The speaker wire from Roy made a difference on my system, it was well worth the $60.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Speaker Wire  from Roy Empty Re: Speaker Wire from Roy

Post by Peter W. Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:43 pm

music wrote:I purchased 15 feet of the new speaker wire from Roy,  I have to say, I almost spent over $400 at Morrow Wire. The speaker wire from Roy made a difference on my system, it was well worth the $60.

I am glad it worked out for you. I can think of a at least five reasons that speaker wire would make a difference, one to another.

1. Better connectors
    2. Tighter connectors
    3. Cleaner connections
    4. Heavier gauge.
    5. Matching length.

For the record, I would not rely only on friction-connectors for speaker wire. Locking banana jacks, or some other form of clamp connector, at least.
    Keep in mind that speaker connectors, especially at the speaker are subject to a great deal of vibration, pretty much all the time they are in use. I have been known to use strain-relief when appropriate.
    For the record, gold is not a particularly good conductor as compared to copper, brass(!) or silver. It's sole and only virtue is resistance to corrosion. But, it is tricky to plate properly, such that it often loses even that advantage.

Without getting into nature vs. nurture, and subjective vs. objective, science vs. belief and calculations vs. perceptions, I remake my speaker connections at least once per year, sometimes more often where the cats play. Each time, I perceive a difference. I try to keep them clean and tight.

I use 19-strand 12-gauge THHN for the main system. Because I can. The maximum distance is about 15', but both runs are the same length. $70 will get you 500 feet. Per the NEC, it will be virgin copper if purchased or sold in the United States or Canada for line-voltage electrical use.
    I use pretty ordinary 14-gauge stranded Zip for the other six systems. The runs are short, and in three of those six, the peripherals change frequently.
    I have been known to use pliers and/or screwdrivers to tighten connections.

Much as with boutique caps, I am skeptical of boutique wire. It sure looks good, though on Roy's website.
    bongoman

Speaker Wire  from Roy Empty Speaker wires

Post by bongoman Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:46 pm

60$ for 15 ft with quality connectors and reasonable shielding and they are, please correct me if I'm wrong, 14 ga.? I agree with some of your points except considering the situation I would call that a stretch to say they constitute "boutique Wire".

Post by Guest Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:09 pm

bongoman wrote:60$ for 15 ft with quality connectors and reasonable shielding and they are, please correct me if I'm wrong, 14 ga.? I agree with some of your points except considering the situation I would call that a stretch to say they constitute "boutique Wire".
    They are 14 gauge.
    10-E-C
    10-E-C

Post by 10-E-C Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:26 pm

Peter W. wrote:
    music wrote:I purchased 15 feet of the new speaker wire from Roy,  I have to say, I almost spent over $400 at Morrow Wire. The speaker wire from Roy made a difference on my system, it was well worth the $60.

I am glad it worked out for you. I can think of a at least five reasons that speaker wire would make a difference, one to another.

1. Better connectors
    2. Tighter connectors
    3. Cleaner connections
    4. Heavier gauge.
    5. Matching length.

For the record, I would not rely only on friction-connectors for speaker wire. Locking banana jacks, or some other form of clamp connector, at least.
    Keep in mind that speaker connectors, especially at the speaker are subject to a great deal of vibration, pretty much all the time they are in use. I have been known to use strain-relief when appropriate.
    For the record, gold is not a particularly good conductor as compared to copper, brass(!) or silver. It's sole and only virtue is resistance to corrosion. But, it is tricky to plate properly, such that it often loses even that advantage.

Without getting into nature vs. nurture, and subjective vs. objective, science vs. belief and calculations vs. perceptions, I remake my speaker connections at least once per year, sometimes more often where the cats play. Each time, I perceive a difference. I try to keep them clean and tight.

I use 19-strand 12-gauge THHN for the main system. Because I can. The maximum distance is about 15', but both runs are the same length. $70 will get you 500 feet. Per the NEC, it will be virgin copper if purchased or sold in the United States or Canada for line-voltage electrical use.
    I use pretty ordinary 14-gauge stranded Zip for the other six systems. The runs are short, and in three of those six, the peripherals change frequently.
    I have been known to use pliers and/or screwdrivers to tighten connections.

Much as with boutique caps, I am skeptical of boutique wire. It sure looks good, though on Roy's website.

I use 12 gauge 65-strand MTW for my speaker wire, MTW is much more flexible than THHN. I used the MTW wire to wire up electrical cabinets in my former working life.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:24 am

10-E-C wrote:

I use 12 gauge 65-strand MTW for my speaker wire, MTW is much more flexible than THHN. I used the MTW wire to wire up electrical cabinets in my former working life.

I do like MTW wire (Machine Tool Wire for those not in the trade). However, it is fat and hard to conceal. It is the small things - my wife is OK with me 'placing' the Maggies and such. Not so much the wires to and from.
    10-E-C
    10-E-C

Post by 10-E-C Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:46 am

Peter W. wrote:
    10-E-C wrote:

I do like MTW wire (Machine Tool Wire for those not in the trade). However, it is fat and hard to conceal. It is the small things - my wife is OK with me 'placing' the Maggies and such. Not so much the wires to and from.

I run my MTW wire in different color techflex to match the room it's installed in, with a little shrink tubing on the ends to keep the techflex from fraying. A pretty cheap way in making the speaker wires acceptable to the WF.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am