The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products


    What comes firs, the chicken or the egg

    avatar
    mikej497

    Posts : 4
    Join date : 2018-04-23

    What comes firs, the chicken or the egg  Empty What comes firs, the chicken or the egg

    Post by mikej497 on Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:23 pm

    So I need some input.
    I own a Dynaco Pat5 and a Dynaco ST400 that I built many years ago, in the late 70's. Still works great.
    I want to build a tube preamp and power amp.
    So since I can't buy both at the same time$$, which would you build first? Pre or Amp? Either one would hook to existing equipment until I get both built.

    Thanks
    peterh
    peterh

    Posts : 1352
    Join date : 2012-12-25
    Location : gothenburg, sweden

    What comes firs, the chicken or the egg  Empty Re: What comes firs, the chicken or the egg

    Post by peterh on Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:01 am

    mikej497 wrote:So I need some input.
    I own a Dynaco Pat5 and a Dynaco ST400 that I built many years ago, in the late 70's. Still works great.
    I want to build a tube preamp and power amp.
    So since I can't buy both at the same time$$, which would you build first? Pre or Amp? Either one would hook to existing equipment until I get both built.

    Thanks
    I would start with the poweramp, your existing PAT5 has no problems driving one.
    But don't route the speakers through the PAT5 as it might interrupt the load.
    avatar
    Dale Stevens

    Posts : 144
    Join date : 2014-07-06
    Age : 71
    Location : Loris, SC

    What comes firs, the chicken or the egg  Empty Re: What comes firs, the chicken or the egg

    Post by Dale Stevens on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:39 am

    don't route the speakers )

    Peter, What ??
    peterh
    peterh

    Posts : 1352
    Join date : 2012-12-25
    Location : gothenburg, sweden

    What comes firs, the chicken or the egg  Empty Re: What comes firs, the chicken or the egg

    Post by peterh on Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:03 am

    Dale Stevens wrote:don't route the speakers )

    Peter,  What ??
    PAS5 has a speaker switch mechanism. Using that might introduce open
    outputs, whch a tube amp often has problems with. My suggestion is to
    ignore the PAS5 speaker routing ( which might be a bad idea anyway)
    avatar
    mikej497

    Posts : 4
    Join date : 2018-04-23

    What comes firs, the chicken or the egg  Empty Re: What comes firs, the chicken or the egg

    Post by mikej497 on Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:49 pm

    peterh wrote:
    mikej497 wrote:So I need some input.
    I own a Dynaco Pat5 and a Dynaco ST400 that I built many years ago, in the late 70's. Still works great.
    I want to build a tube preamp and power amp.
    So since I can't buy both at the same time$$, which would you build first? Pre or Amp? Either one would hook to existing equipment until I get both built.

    Thanks
    I would start with the poweramp, your existing PAT5 has no problems driving one.
    But don't route the speakers through the PAT5 as it might interrupt the load.
    Thanks so much for the input. I was thinking the same thing and the reassurance is great.

    My next choice is amp.
    I have a couple of Martin Logan XT60's that I like the sound of.
    I was thinking of the st70 or possibly two mono block's, any advice on that?
    Maybe some day some electrostatics from ML.
    tubes4hifi
    tubes4hifi
    Admin

    Posts : 1661
    Join date : 2008-11-30

    What comes firs, the chicken or the egg  Empty Re: What comes firs, the chicken or the egg

    Post by tubes4hifi on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:50 pm

    just my own opinion of course, but I always think the preamp (other than speakers) is the most important component the system, as well as source.
    Power amp has the least influence on sonic output, but it is easier to build than a preamp.
    avatar
    Tom

    Posts : 197
    Join date : 2011-04-04

    What comes firs, the chicken or the egg  Empty Re: What comes firs, the chicken or the egg

    Post by Tom on Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:13 pm

    Firs first, or at least conifers, at 300 million years ago, first eggs right about then too but no birds until about 60 Mya. So firs, egg, then chicken. And get the preamp, Smile
    PeterCapo
    PeterCapo

    Posts : 845
    Join date : 2008-12-05

    What comes firs, the chicken or the egg  Empty Re: What comes firs, the chicken or the egg

    Post by PeterCapo on Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:22 am

    mikej497 wrote: ...
    My next choice is amp.
    I have a couple of Martin Logan XT60's that I like the sound of.
    I was thinking of the st70 or possibly two mono block's, any advice on that?
    Maybe some day some electrostatics from ML.

    These?  https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/motion-60xt   If so, they have a fairly high efficiency rating.  Unless you like it awfully loud, a Stereo 70 should do nicely.  Mark IV monoblocks would be even better.  If you might prefer the sound of 6550/KT88 to EL34 types, then the Mark III monoblocks.  If you don't listen loudly and/or have a small listening area, then with that efficiency rating on the speakers you might get away with using the Stereo 35.

    tubes4hifi ST-70
    tubes4hifi Mk3
    dynakitparts.com offerings - scroll down
    avatar
    mikej497

    Posts : 4
    Join date : 2018-04-23

    What comes firs, the chicken or the egg  Empty Re: What comes firs, the chicken or the egg

    Post by mikej497 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:19 pm

    Thanks for all the inputs.
    After doing more research I am going to start with a good preamp then the two mono blocks.
    Going to be fun.


    Last edited by mikej497 on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add info)
    peterh
    peterh

    Posts : 1352
    Join date : 2012-12-25
    Location : gothenburg, sweden

    What comes firs, the chicken or the egg  Empty Re: What comes firs, the chicken or the egg

    Post by peterh on Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:57 am

    mikej497 wrote:Thanks for all the inputs.
    After doing more research I am going to start with a good preamp then the two mono blocks.
    Going to be fun.

    Congrats, your journey has begun !

    Make sure the preamp you choose can drive your st400 which has 50k input impedance!
    Not all tubeamps can drive such low impedance.

    Sponsored content

    What comes firs, the chicken or the egg  Empty Re: What comes firs, the chicken or the egg

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:02 pm