The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Dynaco PAS3 Balance control replacement

garyroach
    garyroach

Dynaco PAS3 Balance control replacement Empty Dynaco PAS3 Balance control replacement

Post by garyroach Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi
    I have recently purchased a Dynaco PAS3 in need of repair. The 750K balance control is damaged. I am having trouble finding a replacement. Does anyone know where I can get one. Can I substitute a 500K or a 1M pot? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Gary
    GP49

Dynaco PAS3 Balance control replacement Empty Re: Dynaco PAS3 Balance control replacement

Post by GP49 Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:32 am

The Dynaco balance pot is made of unobtainium. It was a custom pot with a zero-resistance track on opposite halves of the two sections; a log-taper track on the other half of one section; and an antilog-taper track on the other half of the other section.

The only way to get an actual exact replacement is to scrap one out of another PAS or an SCA-35. There are even two types: the smooth-shaft type used on the PAS-2x and PAS-3x, and the splined-shaft type used on everything else.

It is possible that you might find a usable substitute by scrapping out some other piece of tube equipment, such as a phonograph or a console that is being junked.

Some modifiers remove the stereo-mono-blend switch from their PAS. They can install two volume controls, one above the other, to replace the existing volume and balance controls. Others who have had failed balance controls have installed a second volume control in one channel only (usually the right channel), in the position of the balance control; and a fixed voltage-divider attenuator in the other channel. That way, at least they can trim up the volume between the two channels.

garyroach
    garyroach

Dynaco PAS3 Balance control replacement Empty Re: Dynaco PAS3 Balance control replacement

Post by garyroach Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks for the reply GP49. Not such good news huh. At least I now understand what I am dealing with. Anyone have a PAS3 balance control for sale?
    GP49

Post by GP49 Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:19 am

garyroach wrote:Thanks for the reply GP49. Not such good news huh. At least I now understand what I am dealing with. Anyone have a PAS3 balance control for sale?

Ask around on the audiophile boards (Joe Curcio's Dynaco Doctor board would be another good one besides here). Many folks, when modifying their Dynaco preamps, will ditch the balance control entirely. Maybe someone would be willing to ditch it into a box and mail it to you.
    garyroach
    garyroach

Dynaco PAS3 Balance control replacement Empty anyone Have a Balance pot for a Dynaco PAS2 or PAS3

Post by garyroach Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Hi
    I recently purchased a Dynaco PAS3 preamp in need of repair. The balance control is physically damaged and can't be salvaged. Is anyone rebuilding a PAS3 or PAS2 and does not need there balance control I would be willing to make a deal.
    Thanks
    Gary

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:04 am