The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

I rebuilt my ST35 with FPE - with mistakes.

corndog71
    corndog71

I rebuilt my ST35 with FPE - with mistakes. Empty I rebuilt my ST35 with FPE - with mistakes.

Post by corndog71 on Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:34 pm

I love EL84 amps.  There’s just something about them that makes them fun to build.  I built one similar to this a few years ago for my brother.  It turned out so well that I decided to replicate it for myself with a few changes.  For the earlier one I drilled all of the holes in a 12x10x2” Hammond box.  This time I designed a plate on front panel express and used the power supply pcb from Dave Gillespie with built in EFB (enhanced fixed bias). http://tronola.com/html/daves_store.html
    I went with the same 12x10X3” box that I used for my power strip.

Unfortunately I screwed up some of my measurements.  

1. The hole cut for a filtered IEC jack was too small
    2. Three of the holes for the pcb were off by a few millimeters.
    3. There are 3 screw holes which I can’t even remember why I added them.
    4. Two screw holes for terminal strips were based on the wrong part.

Fortunately I got most of the holes right and am now living with my mistake.

It’s completely noise-free aside from a very slight transformer buzz.

I rebuilt my ST35 with FPE - with mistakes. 50160337361_3f938ecb49_c Custom ST35 w/EFB v5

I rebuilt my ST35 with FPE - with mistakes. 50159790168_df36bf25d0_c Custom ST35 w/EFB v5

pedrocols and MechEngVic like this post

Earl
    Earl

I rebuilt my ST35 with FPE - with mistakes. Empty Re: I rebuilt my ST35 with FPE - with mistakes.

Post by Earl on Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:44 pm

I would have tried to mount the two output transformers closer together. Laughing Laughing

solderblob likes this post

Current date/time is Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:53 am