The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Protect my amp?

Protect my amp? Empty Protect my amp?

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:40 pm

Opinions on this item to protect the VTA-120 from high voltage spikes.Protect my amp? P9210011
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Protect my amp? Empty Re: Protect my amp?

Post by Dave_in_Va Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:15 pm

I think it would help if you posted a link to the product so the tech guys here could see what it is exactly.
    AmpedUp
    AmpedUp

Post by AmpedUp Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:03 am

Music,
    It was smart of you to ask for opinions, as cables and power conditioners/UPS's are very subjective with audiophiles. My opinion: This device (CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS System) is listed for $25 cheaper on Amazon than your pic. Yes, it will protect your amps just fine from voltage spikes and power outages (rated at 120V plus/minus 5%). IMO, it is good value if you do not play at loud volumes or have very little equipment plugged into its 12 outlets. You usually get what you pay for, in this case... It does nothing to reduce any noise in you power lines and more important, it is only rated at 900 Watts. Meaning that it will only power 7.5 Amps of power at any moment. Quality stereo equipment is very hungry for power especially if you play at loud volumes. You will have to calculate if this UPS is sufficient to everything that you will have turned on at the same time. It will work perfect for computers and monitors that use little power. Your stereo might need a higher power (Wattage) rating unless you listen at lower volumes. If you buy it local, check their return policy and you can take it home and try it with your equipment and see if it can handle all that you have plugged in and at the highest volumes you intend to listen. If all is OK you are golden. If it clips or will not allow you to reach the volume you want you can return it. It never hurts to try new equipment and hopefully this case will not cost you anything to try.
    Mike
    solderblob
    solderblob

Post by solderblob Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:26 pm

Aren't amps like the ST-120 pretty much immune to power spikes?

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:46 pm

solderblob wrote:Aren't amps like the ST-120 pretty much immune to power spikes?
    Absolutely NOT.
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:01 pm

The catalog listing originally posted says "true sine wave". The one referenced by ampedup says "simulated" sine wave.
    Does it make a difference? I have no idea but Bob Latino has always stressed that it's important for these gizmos to put out a true sine wave.
    solderblob
    solderblob

Post by solderblob Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:38 pm

music wrote:
    solderblob wrote:Aren't amps like the ST-120 pretty much immune to power spikes?
    Absolutely NOT.

I'm curious about what makes them vulnerable.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:58 am