The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Best 12ax7 for stock PAS-3?

jrethorst

Best 12ax7 for stock PAS-3? Empty Best 12ax7 for stock PAS-3?

Post by jrethorst Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:21 pm

Time for new tubes for my trusty preamp . . . Looking at current production, I see that people running various equipment like various brands: Sovtek, JJ, Golden Lion, Electro Harmonix and many others. Have you found that one brand is best matched to the PAS-3?

John R.
    jrethorst

Best 12ax7 for stock PAS-3? Empty Re: Best 12ax7 for stock PAS-3?

Post by jrethorst Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:22 pm

My PAS is feeding two Dyna mk3 amps running in triode mode, if that matters.

John R.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:37 am

jrethorst wrote:Time for new tubes for my trusty preamp . . . Looking at current production, I see that people running various equipment like various brands: Sovtek, JJ, Golden Lion, Electro Harmonix and many others. Have you found that one brand is best matched to the PAS-3?

John R.

Why do you think you need new tubes ?

jrethorst, 10-E-C and Tom Pickett like this post

jrethorst

Post by jrethorst Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:01 pm

it's been sitting for a while. When I fired it back up recently, the sound on both channels was heavily distorted. Could be several things, but AFAIK (I bought it used) the tubes may be original.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:08 am

jrethorst wrote:it's been sitting for a while. When I fired it back up recently, the sound on both channels was heavily distorted. Could be several things, but AFAIK (I bought it used) the tubes may be original.
    I would start with measuring all voltages in the unit.
    Chances are that some of the power supply capacitors has been eroded away and that the B+ is too low. New tubes won't help here, continuous use as is might destroy the power transformer.

The original tubes in this unit is most likely good for another 50 years.

jrethorst, 10-E-C and Tom Pickett like this post

Big Harry

Post by Big Harry Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:38 am

It's highly unlikely that any of the tubes have gone bad just because they were out of service for a while. I suspect there are caps going bad or there are dirty connections, possibly at the tube pins, switches and RCA connections. Small signal tubes have a very long life and don't require frequent replacement.

jrethorst and Tom Pickett like this post

jrethorst

Post by jrethorst Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:24 pm

Very helpful replies -- thank you!
    Tom Pickett
    Tom Pickett

Post by Tom Pickett Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:50 pm

jrethorst wrote:Time for new tubes for my trusty preamp . . . Looking at current production, I see that people running various equipment like various brands: Sovtek, JJ, Golden Lion, Electro Harmonix and many others. Have you found that one brand is best matched to the PAS-3?

John R.

For many years I have worked on a lot of old tube equipment and most of the time it's the capacitors that will go bad while the amplifier is in storage or not in use.

The tubes on the other hand very rarely go bad if they have been sitting in a closet or in storage. Most of the It's the amount of used physical time that determines how long they will last.

Like the other comments above.... I would do a little checking around and see if you have a few bad capacitor and if you do have access to a tube tester then I would check the tubes to make sure that they are good.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:10 pm