The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

I'm joining the Dynaco Club!

j4570

I'm joining the Dynaco Club! Empty I'm joining the Dynaco Club!

Post by j4570 Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:40 pm

Well, I've been lurking a long time on tube amp forums. I finally did some horse trading with a friend and ended up with a PAS and ST-70. Here's the pics:

URL=https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/i/st70f.jpg/]I'm joining the Dynaco Club! St70f[/URL]

I'm joining the Dynaco Club! St70t

I'm joining the Dynaco Club! Pasn

NOW, the bad news. I won't be picking them up until around end of the year!!!! So I have plenty of time to figure out what to do.

They are supposed to be early-mid 60's that the original owner gave to him a few years back. One channel was going in and out. So I have some work to do. Considering the age, no matter when it was actually assembled & working, it's probably due for a complete recap/resistors. Obviously the selenium rectifier needs to go if it's still there. I'm thinking the VTA board is probably a good idea. I also like the idea of the attenuator to use the amp direct, so I'm thinking AT7's instead of AU7's. Of course, I have a bunch of good used AU7's lying around.....Though I do have one Bugle Boy AT7!!!! NOS!

I have one other tube amp, a Bogen AP35 Integrated that I rebuilt a few years back. It sounds pretty darn good, so I'm thinking the ST70 should be great!

Anyway, I've read a bunch of posts about various topics, and it's simply amazing how much info is available for this amp. It will be a nice change from the Bogen (which I rebuilt without a schematic which I since have gotten) which no one I found on the internet had rebuilt one!

One thing is that the "upgrade" binding posts that many offer (which I like) only have posts for one tap. I'd like to have 4 and 8 ohm taps (I see no need for 16 ohm taps). So if anyone has some pics of a nice setup here, please share them.

So if anyone wants to chime in.....I'll be weighing options til January! I want to rebuild this amp for the next 30 years!!!!

Jason

JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

I'm joining the Dynaco Club! Empty Re: I'm joining the Dynaco Club!

Post by JunkyJan Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:46 pm

Congrats, j4570! (And welcome!)

Are you plannning on keeping it "stock" (i.e. original driver board etc)?

-- 'Jan
    xlr8

Post by xlr8 Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:15 am

I want to rebuild this amp for the next 30 years!!!!

Ha!! The first one I re-built is already 48 yrs. old and worked just fine before I updated it. With modern components, we can probably all plan on passing these amps on down to our grandchildren! Very Happy

I took advantage of all of the cap upgrades these guys offer and could not be happier with the sound. When my power trannys start to go, I'll probably just go ahead and upgrade both of my amps to VTA 120s and keep them forever! cheers
    j4570

Post by j4570 Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:03 pm

I'm not currently palnning on keeping the original driver board. I will probably upgrqade to the VTA baord, and make power supply upgrades as well.
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:12 pm

j4570 wrote:
    One thing is that the "upgrade" binding posts that many offer (which I like) only have posts for one tap. I'd like to have 4 and 8 ohm taps (I see no need for 16 ohm taps). So if anyone has some pics of a nice setup here, please share them.

So if anyone wants to chime in.....I'll be weighing options til January! I want to rebuild this amp for the next 30 years!!!!

Jason

Here's a link for a ST-70 replacement binding post connector from Dynakit Parts (http://www.dynakitparts.com/store/product.aspx?id=213). It uses "standard" grade (ie. no gold plating) binding posts, but allows for 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps.

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

Post by JunkyJan Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:19 pm

j4570 wrote:I will probably upgrade to the VTA board, and make power supply upgrades as well.
    Cool, I am running Bob's ST-70 kit with the upgraded PS and VTA board - and my system (Mission speakers, Genalex KT66 etc) beats everything I have heard (including a friend's $12K "fancy brand" Monoblock Class A "sand" amp setup - 1/2" thick brushed alum faceplates and all).

IMHO the upgraded PS is a must-do.

Also, I am working on a set of Mark III monoblocks, and I am in the process of making replacement speaker binding panels with modern 3-way gold-plated binding posts (Gnd, 4 & 8 ohm). I'll publish pics and measurements once I actually managed to get it right (not much space on the Mark III cut-out).

-- 'Jan
    BC, Canada

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am