The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
LeGrace
corndog71
IntarsiaGuy
7 posters

Opinions - Bad Recordings + Revealing Speakers + Triode Mode

IntarsiaGuy

Opinions - Bad Recordings + Revealing Speakers + Triode Mode Empty Opinions - Bad Recordings + Revealing Speakers + Triode Mode

Post by IntarsiaGuy Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:57 am

This is very much subjective, but I would appreciate any experience/opinions on this.

I am going to build a pair of speakers at some point.  Some are much more revealing than others.  I listen to a lot of well-recorded music, and also great music not well recorded (e.g. old Chicago, Tower of Power, the Rascals).  Highly revealing speakers can make bad recordings nearly unlistenable (to me), with the biggest problems being in the upper range.  My subjective question is, to what extent does triode mode - with it's slight roll-off - improve the sound of poor recordings on highly-revealing speakers?  I have the monoblocks and do not currently own highly revealing speakers to test this myself.

Thanks.

Last edited by IntarsiaGuy on Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : records = recordings)
    corndog71
    corndog71

Opinions - Bad Recordings + Revealing Speakers + Triode Mode Empty Re: Opinions - Bad Recordings + Revealing Speakers + Triode Mode

Post by corndog71 Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:14 pm

My speakers are quite revealing. I haven’t come across a recording that was so bad I couldn’t listen to it. I imagine at some point I’ll find one. In all honesty I don’t hear a huge difference between ultralinear and triode. Maybe my music choices are a factor though I do listen to a pretty wide variety. Another reason might be that in my system 200Hz and down are covered by my subs.

For speaker kits I recommend www.gr-research.com
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Opinions - Bad Recordings + Revealing Speakers + Triode Mode Empty Re: Opinions - Bad Recordings + Revealing Speakers + Triode Mode

Post by LeGrace Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:50 am

Like most folks I traditionally operated my monoblocks in UL mode. Because while triode offers nice mids can also have a tendency of sounding a bit flat, ie lacking sparkle vs UL due to the roll off. Why most prefer UL.  

But these days I always have my M125's set to triode mode. Reason being I switched to biamping. I use a soild state integrated amp acting firstly as a preamplifier for the tube amps, and secondly use its amp section to drive the high freq section of my towers. Monoblocks connect to low freq taps. This leverages the lush mids of triode while adding the high end back in. Overall I find the result superior to using tubes solely.

IntarsiaGuy likes this post

knotscott
    knotscott

Post by knotscott Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:27 pm

I have a pair of Dyna/VTA 70s in a horizontal bi-amp configuration, with a fairly revealing pair of speakers that has 8" Focal kevlar woofer in a transmission line, 5" kevlar mid-bass, and Seas aluminum dome tweeter.  I typically prefer the lusher midrange of Triode, but don't feel the difference between UL and triode will tame an overly bright recording.  I tend to just turn it down for those situations, and/or boost the woofer to UL to temporarily help compensate an aggressive sounding recording.

I'll confess to having expiremented with triode on the one side, and UL on the other side just for kicks (volume compensated of course).  Interesting for sure.  Best of both worlds, and a unique left/right soundstage!  Opinions - Bad Recordings + Revealing Speakers + Triode Mode 1f60e

Tube rolling can help dial in the sound to your liking when you build your new speakers.  I'm really enjoying KT-66s on the mid/tweeter, and RCA clear tops on the ends with 12BH7a in the middle.  Good luck, and please post the end result here!

Last edited by knotscott on Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    IntarsiaGuy

Post by IntarsiaGuy Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:58 pm

Will do. I'm building a pair of piccolos first for a small system in my kitchen. Slow going because I need to learn and practice routing holes, veneering, building speaker boxes. After that kit I will decide what I am building to go with my M125s. I plan to update this once those are built - but it will be a while!

knotscott likes this post

ttocs
    ttocs

Post by ttocs Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:15 pm

There are two tracks - which I happen to like - which sound terrible when there's a mismatch of equipment:
    Romeo Void: Never Say Never
    The Runaways: Cherry Bomb

With borrowed amps that don't like electrostatics these songs are extremely annoying. With my Krell solid state they sound fine. With VTA M-125's they sound good.

M-125 w/KT120 tubes in Triode mode.
    IntarsiaGuy

Post by IntarsiaGuy Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:17 am

Posting a follow-up as asked and promised. My decision was based as much on what I thought would be fun and a good learning experience as it was on specs. I ended up building a pair of CSS Audio Criton 2TD speakers, and a pair of 12 inch down-firing Rythmik subs. I just finished the subs 2 days ago. Even though they are still breaking in and I haven't tried to optimize the sub settings for integration, this sounds absolutely fantastic. I listened to various recordings I use to audition speakers (well-recorded and not) and they all sounded great. One of my favorite auditioning songs is Quanta Qualia by Hayley Westenra. I've found on different systems this song can sound good, grating, or magical. It sounded magical. So, I have a system that makes poor recordings sound good and good recordings sounds great - exactly what I wanted.

M-125 w/KT88 tubes in UL mode (for now)

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/TRaKtfaoTBKZyBV5QvTE6g.pmuYtdCUo82X89xR8rz7B3

knotscott likes this post

tubes4hifi
    tubes4hifi
    Admin

Post by tubes4hifi Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:33 pm

very very nice system! great amps, fantastic preamp, and super nice job on the speakers!
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:58 pm

Just had a look and agree, well done! Cool led mod on the amps, I considered doing similar but possibility of messing up my amps that are working so well now was a risk I decided to avoid. You are clearly more courageous. Nice work on the speakers as well.
    IntarsiaGuy

Post by IntarsiaGuy Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:34 am

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!
    New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:29 pm

LeGrace wrote:Just had a look and agree, well done! Cool led mod on the amps, I considered doing similar but possibility of messing up my amps that are working so well now was a risk I decided to avoid. You are clearly more courageous. Nice work on the speakers as well.

Same situation for me.
    For almost 2 years, I've had a plan to re-locate the LEDs but weary of messing up a good thing. I just think of the KT120s as being really expensive LEDs. Fingers crossed...

Nice job intarsia!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:06 pm