The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Average life of an OT?

jsl1234
    jsl1234

Average life of an OT? Empty Average life of an OT?

Post by jsl1234 Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:21 pm

Is there any consensus regarding how much life one should expect for a set of new output tubes? As I posted in my other thread, one of my KT88s red plated last night. These were purchase from Jim McShane 3.5 years ago and up until last night have worked flawlessly. I ran them on average a couple of hours per day (some days 8 hours, some days 2 hours, some times not for several days even a couple of weeks at all).

I generally not mucked with them besides once or twice removing them to clean the contacts and sockets, so I'm assuming that the tube simply failed on its own accord.

Thanks

peterh
    peterh

Average life of an OT? Empty Re: Average life of an OT?

Post by peterh Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:04 pm

jsl1234 wrote:Is there any consensus regarding how much life one should expect for a set of new output tubes? As I posted in my other thread, one of my KT88s red plated last night. These were purchase from Jim McShane 3.5 years ago and up until last night have worked flawlessly. I ran them on average a couple of hours per day (some days 8 hours, some days 2 hours, some times not for several days even a couple of weeks at all).

I generally not mucked with them besides once or twice removing them to clean the contacts and sockets, so I'm assuming that the tube simply failed on its own accord.

Thanks

As for my limited experience i know that a quad of JJ 6550 lasted 3400h and was still usable when i decided to try some other tubes.
    3000 - 5000h is the expected lifetime for power tubes.
    The above hours was measure as i installed a hour meter in my amp to save some hard data.

jsl1234 likes this post

Current date/time is Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:35 am