The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
peterh
WLT
6 posters

Dyna PAS 2 for the group

WLT
    WLT

Dyna PAS 2 for the group Empty Dyna PAS 2 for the group

Post by WLT Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:47 am

An interesting question for the group. Not looking for guesses. My friend Joe was going thru his audio storage unit and found this Dyna PAS 2. It is different than the usual ones so he asked me about it. I spot the following differences but do not have good answers as to its origin.

The inside looks pretty stock except for two blue caps on the high level board and the heater caps/diodes. The back and cover look stock. The front face has different knobs. All changes could have been revisions during repair sessions. The big difference is the face plate! At first glance it just looks like the later version gold anodized type. However it does not have the top and bottom lip bevels. A flat face plate. I have not seen that before. The after market vendors selling face plates seem to all have the bevels.

Has anyone any real info on this? Particularly if it is actually from Dynaco. Maybe a prototype between the brass/brown and the later gold anodized beveled versions. Maybe the knobs were a prototype as well. Your insight and comments are appreciated.Dyna PAS 2 for the group 20221010
    Dyna PAS 2 for the group 20221011
    Dyna PAS 2 for the group 20221012
    peterh
    peterh

Dyna PAS 2 for the group Empty Re: Dyna PAS 2 for the group

Post by peterh Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:22 am

The amp is not a factory assembled one, factory assembled  ones used rivets for the connectors.
    Same with the boards, factory assembled riveted the boards inside.

Cannot help with the front. It's nice.

Last edited by peterh on Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:00 pm

That preamp looks like a PAS-2 that was retrofitted with a PAS-3 face plate and PAS-3 knobs. The sticker on the back states that it was originally a PAS-2 preamp. Read at our forum link below from June of 2021 about the differences between the Dynaco PAS-2, PAS-3 and PAS-3X preamps.

Differences between Dynaco PAS-2, PAS-3 and PAS-3X preamps

Bob

mmmalmberg and mchavez like this post

payuppal
    payuppal

Dyna PAS 2 for the group Empty Pat 4

Post by payuppal Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:17 am

I have a couple of late model unassembled pat 4's with the same style flat face plates.
    Regards
    Wharfcreek

Post by Wharfcreek Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:34 am

About a decade or more ago I recall seeing a faceplate/knob set like that sold by an independent maker. It was a replacement / upgrade that was offered to restore an old PAS 2/3 plate that had been deteriorated or damaged. I don't think the vendor lasted long, as sales of those plates were probably pretty slow and not 'cost-effective' for the producer. Likewise, there was also a gent out in California by the name of Joe (from Nipomo, CA) who offered a 'Black' faceplate for both the PAS pre-amp and the SCA integrated amp, along with some nice knobs as well. I think he's no longer around doing this either. Both were nice products and I think they certainly added value to the units which might otherwise have been damaged or just plain worn out. That PAS-2 plate tended to wear the brown off, as well as the brass would oxidize and the plates would just look ugly! The aluminum anodized plate on the PAS 3 was a huge improvement, but over the years many of those got worn or damaged as well. So, these two vendors had some great offerings......but I guess they've both gone the way of the DoDo by now............
    payuppal
    payuppal

Dyna PAS 2 for the group Empty Akitika

Post by payuppal Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:21 pm

Dan at Akitika sells a new replacement faceplate for the Pas 3 for $58.00
    Regards
    daveshel
    daveshel

Post by daveshel Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:52 pm

payuppal wrote:I have a couple of late model unassembled pat 4's with the same style flat face plates.
    Regards

I got a PAT-5 in 1982 from Stereo Cost Cutters and it had a different face plate from the originals.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:50 am