The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

ST120 with no speakers connected???

Rbertalotto

ST120 with no speakers connected??? Empty ST120 with no speakers connected???

Post by Rbertalotto Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:27 am

I have a Tubes4HiFi ST120 Tube amplifier I built a couple years ago. I have a number sets of speakers that I like to audition from time to time. It is my understanding that you are not to disconnect speakers from a tube amplifier while it is running or for some time after you have disconnected power or damage will result?

Can I build a switch box of some type that would put 8ohm resistors on the outputs with the amplifier still on, while I switched speaker leads from one set of speakers to the other.

If "yes".....What type of switch or circuit would I build for such a device?

Thanks
    peterh
    peterh

ST120 with no speakers connected??? Empty Re: ST120 with no speakers connected???

Post by peterh Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:19 pm

Rbertalotto wrote:I have a Tubes4HiFi ST120 Tube amplifier I built a couple years ago. I have a number sets of speakers that I like to audition from time to time. It is my understanding that you are not to disconnect speakers from a tube amplifier while it is running or for some time after you have disconnected power or damage will result?

Can I build a switch box of some type that would put 8ohm resistors on the outputs with the amplifier still on, while I switched speaker leads from one set of speakers to the other.

If "yes".....What type of switch or circuit would I build for such a device?

Thanks
    Any switch box that connects the next speaker BEFORE disconnecting the present .
    "Make before break" as they call it.
    NEVER LEAVE OUTPUT OF A TUBE AMP DISCONNECTED !!!
    Rbertalotto

ST120 with no speakers connected??? Empty Re: ST120 with no speakers connected???

Post by Rbertalotto Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:24 pm

I was told that p[utting a 100 ohm resistor across the speaker output terminals would not degrade the sound and would protect the output transformers....??
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:30 pm

Rbertalotto wrote:I was told that p[utting a 100 ohm resistor across the speaker output terminals would not degrade the sound and would protect the output transformers....??
    Yes, this can be seen as an insurance. But i would still never leave the output open. Shorting
    however is no problem for a tubeamp.
    Rbertalotto

Post by Rbertalotto Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:37 pm

Thanks! I just ordered two 10w / 100 ohm / 5% wire wound aluminum case resistors.....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:32 am