The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products


    "Hot Mod" Dynaco FM-3

    Share

    denny9167

    Posts : 152
    Join date : 2011-05-09
    Age : 49
    Location : Texas

    "Hot Mod" Dynaco FM-3

    Post by denny9167 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:36 pm

    Just recently begun another FM-3 restoration, this makes my third one, and I thought
    I would do something different, because of the threat of oxidation,and rust to
    The chassis, I would either powdercoat, or paint the chassis, I chose painting
    This time, because of cost , although I have checked into some powder coating
    Systems for DIY. It might be something to look into later. I chose hammered copper
    For my color. Turning out nice so far. I will post more as the project progresses.
    I will be designing a new front panel as well.[img][/img]
    [img][/img]

    baddog1946

    Posts : 304
    Join date : 2010-02-03
    Location : Costa Rica

    Re: "Hot Mod" Dynaco FM-3

    Post by baddog1946 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:46 pm

    Hi Den:
    Looks like you are doing a fine job on that FM-3. I did 5 tuners last year including one with a new one piece motherboard. I ended up with a lot of parts and spares as I bought a couple to get parts in good shape. The point is I have a lot of stuff lying around. If you need anything for your project I probably have it. I also have a friend who will be coming down for a holiday and returning on the 7th of Feb. so I could make you a pkg. of whatever you need and send it along. The only thing I don't have spares of is trannies.
    Baddog1946


    Last edited by baddog1946 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

    denny9167

    Posts : 152
    Join date : 2011-05-09
    Age : 49
    Location : Texas

    Re: "Hot Mod" Dynaco FM-3

    Post by denny9167 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:01 pm

    baddog1946 wrote:Hi Den:
    Looks like you are doing a fine job on that FM-3. I did 5 tuners last year including one with a new one piece motherboard. I ended up with a lot of parts and spares as I bought a couple to get parts in good shape. The point is I have a lot of stuff lying around. If you need anything for your project I probably have it. I also have a friend who will be coming down for a holiday and returning on the 7th of Feb. so I could make you a pkg. of whatever you need and send it along. The only thing I don't have spares of is trannies.
    Baddog1946

    Sounds great,I think there are a few items I need. One part in particular is a Stereocator,I have two more left,but one is for the FM-1. Can't think of anything else right now,maybe more sockets. BTW Thanks for the comments. I have to tell you baddog,these tuners are just plain fun to work on,I had a few problems when I first started,alignment procedures mostly,but once I got that down,it takes me no time to align one.

    GP49

    Posts : 733
    Join date : 2009-04-30
    Location : East of the sun and west of the moon

    Re: "Hot Mod" Dynaco FM-3

    Post by GP49 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:41 am

    denny9167 wrote:
    Sounds great,I think there are a few items I need. One part in particular is a Stereocator,I have two more left,but one is for the FM-1...

    If you have an EMM801 tube (the FM-3 indicator tube), guard it with your life! My only spare was sent to me by none other than the late Bob Tucker
    at Dynaco...who included a note saying it was the last one they had.

    The EMM801 was first used in stereo tape recorders as a two-channel level indicator.

    On an FM-3 that I rebuilt a few years ago, I substituted the EM84 tube used in the FM-1 (it is much more common) and put together a driver for an
    LED, to use as a stereo indicator.

    Dynaco's instructions for the EM84 substitution (and how to align your multiplex decoder using a meter instead of the stereo section of the EMM801 tube)::

    Replacing EMM801 wiht EM84

    baddog1946

    Posts : 304
    Join date : 2010-02-03
    Location : Costa Rica

    Re: "Hot Mod" Dynaco FM-3

    Post by baddog1946 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:06 am

    Hi Den:
    Unfortunately I omitted the stereocator (EMM801)as another part I don't have spares of, sorry. I can send you anything else I have Free Of Charge (of course you pay the shipping). I have to move and need to get rid of a lot of stuff I won't need and I would like to give it a home with someone who will use the stuff.
    Check out my photobucket page for a few pics of the tuners I did. I incorporated a switch setup in mine that allows easier aligning when you get to the stereo part.
    I can send you the schematic if you are interested. I got it from Chauncey Epperson who IMHO is the FM-3 guru. He may have a EMM801 if you are unable to find one elsewhere. Keep the photos coming of your build.
    cheers
    Baddog
    http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc446/baddog1946/

    denny9167

    Posts : 152
    Join date : 2011-05-09
    Age : 49
    Location : Texas

    Re: "Hot Mod" Dynaco FM-3

    Post by denny9167 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:18 pm

    baddog1946 wrote:Hi Den:
    Unfortunately I omitted the stereocator (EMM801)as another part I don't have spares of, sorry. I can send you anything else I have Free Of Charge (of course you pay the shipping). I have to move and need to get rid of a lot of stuff I won't need and I would like to give it a home with someone who will use the stuff.
    Check out my photobucket page for a few pics of the tuners I did. I incorporated a switch setup in mine that allows easier aligning when you get to the stereo part.
    I can send you the schematic if you are interested. I got it from Chauncey Epperson who IMHO is the FM-3 guru. He may have a EMM801 if you are unable to find one elsewhere. Keep the photos coming of your build.
    cheers
    Baddog
    http://s1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc446/baddog1946/

    I'm sorry I should have been more specific,I need the plastic inserts used for the EMM801,I have plenty of 801's. The schematic would be nice too. I'll PM you with the imformation you need,Thanks Again.

    Denny

    Sponsored content

    Re: "Hot Mod" Dynaco FM-3

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:54 am


      Current date/time is Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:54 am