The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

5Z3P rectifier Tube, what do you guy's know about it?

Tanner

5Z3P rectifier Tube, what do you guy's know about it? Empty 5Z3P rectifier Tube, what do you guy's know about it?

Post by Tanner Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:54 pm

I just got a pair the other day. Its a replacement for the 5AR4 tube so it says. I did plug it in the ST-70 and it works but I pulled it until I know for sure I'm not going to hurt anything. Any knowledge or advise would be great

Thanks
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

5Z3P rectifier Tube, what do you guy's know about it? Empty Re: 5Z3P rectifier Tube, what do you guy's know about it?

Post by anbitet66 Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:50 pm

All indications are it is a direct replacement for a 5U4. It has a directly heated cathode and probably draws 3Amps of filament current. A 5AR4 has an indirectly heated cathode and draws 1.9Amps of current. A 5U4 can substitute for a 5AR4, but there will be a loss of power to the amp and less power would be available at the speakers. Just look in the Dynaco manual about subbing a 5U4.

Tony

Last edited by anbitet66 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Misspelling)
    Tanner

5Z3P rectifier Tube, what do you guy's know about it? Empty Re: 5Z3P rectifier Tube, what do you guy's know about it?

Post by Tanner Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:22 pm

Ok , well I dont push the amp hard at all. So will I be safe to use it? I have a VTA board so I'll adjust the bias after I install it.
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:55 am

It was ok by Dynaco, so I see no reason not to. Just remember it will have an effect on your amps sound, this could be interpereted as good or bad depending on the pair of ears listening. At least you have a spare rectifier for when it is needed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:21 am