The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Recommended Preamps for the ST-70

cc43fan
    cc43fan

Recommended Preamps for the ST-70 Empty Recommended Preamps for the ST-70

Post by cc43fan Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:15 am

I just completed my ST-70 and hope to have pics up soon....(I know like everyone needs to see another ST-70 pic!), and I'm currently using a McIntosh C24 SS preamp and upgraded Klipsch Forte II's. It sounds fantastic, but I'll be sending the Mac off soon for service and it could be awhile for it's back. If the Mac service isn't too pricey, I may just end up selling it (It's takes up a lot of shelf space).
    So I'm looking for a reasonably priced (< $200.) preamp with phono and hopefully a remote. Is there a preamp/ST-70 combo that some of you are particularly fond of?
    Most of my listening will be classic rock via FLAC files or the occasional vinyl LP (AR XA TT w/Shure M97xE).
    I hope I've provided enough info to get the Dynaco faithful here to share their thinking with me.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Recommended Preamps for the ST-70 Empty Re: Recommended Preamps for the ST-70

Post by Bob Latino Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:56 am

Hi Chuck,

Consider one of the Tubes4hifi "SP" Series of preamp kits at the link below. Excellent price/performance ratio and they mate well with any ST-70 amp.

Tubes4hifi SP series preamps

Bob
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:40 pm

+1 for Bob's comment.
    Tom

Post by Tom Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:56 pm

I built an SP-8 for about $300 all in
    well, except for NOS RCA's Rolling Eyes

Can't say how it sounds with a ST-70
    but it's pretty dang good with my lm-3875 "chimpamp".
    Ya, so simple a caveman can do it...

Still saving my pennies for a ST-120.

Smile Tom
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:09 pm

I can vouch for the sound of an SP8 through a VTA ST-70. I ran that combination for over a year and loved it. It's only for the SP14 that I dared mess with a good thing, but that's a lot more money.

Chuck, if you can build an SP8 within your budged, I can't think of a better possibility! (I'll bet you could even enlist the assistance of Tom, in a pinch).

-Brenton
    mantha3
    mantha3

Post by mantha3 Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:46 pm

OIM 11gI’m sure you’d be happy with the pre-amps sold by tubes4hifi as said above.

A fresly serviced C24 would be nice!

One other option… If you want to save space… Just get the stepped attenuator Bob Latino selss that mounts in the Stereo/Mono hole of your ST70. If you don’t need Bass/Treb/Balance knobs and just want volume control then this is excellent! A simple ST70 with a nice black volume knob on the front. Like a real stripped down integrated amp

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:03 am