The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
WntrMute2
danf
Alan-14
Blitzen
Bob Latino
9 posters

An interesting looking custom Dynaco ST-35 - photo ..

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

An interesting looking custom Dynaco ST-35 - photo .. Empty An interesting looking custom Dynaco ST-35 - photo ..

Post by Bob Latino Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:39 am

An interesting looking custom Dynaco ST-35 - photo .. Composite

This is an interesting looking custom built Dynaco ST-35 with a marble top that looks to be about 3/4 of an inch thick. I am glad that I wasn't the guy who had to drill the holes in the marble for the tube sockets. I never saw any tube amp with a marble top before. This amp is very unique ....

Bob

An interesting looking custom Dynaco ST-35 - photo .. Empty Re: An interesting looking custom Dynaco ST-35 - photo ..

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:58 am

I'm not a big fan of the look of the chassis - too antique for my tastes. The marble adds to the look. Maybe I'm just a low-life grunt who likes the industrial look of most Dynacos.

However, I do admire the work involved even though the end result is not for me. Easy to dust though.
    Blitzen
    Blitzen

An interesting looking custom Dynaco ST-35 - photo .. Empty Re: An interesting looking custom Dynaco ST-35 - photo ..

Post by Blitzen Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:33 am

Interesting- I could see it with a lighter colored marble...I'm sure you could get this cut for you fairly easily; any company supplying granite countertops has to have the capability to bore accurate holes for faucets, etc.
    Alan-14
    Alan-14

Post by Alan-14 Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:45 pm

That's a really cool amp ... I like it.

The only thing that lets it down is the look of the transformers.
    They look shabby and could do with a sand and a coat of paint to make them look new again and in keeping with the rest of the amp.
    danf

An interesting looking custom Dynaco ST-35 - photo .. Empty Not for all tastes

Post by danf Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 am

I'm sorry but this looks like a funerary urn with an ST-35 set on top.
    WntrMute2
    WntrMute2

Post by WntrMute2 Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:57 am

Is this an April Fools day joke too?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:07 am

WntrMute2 wrote:Is this an April Fools day joke too?

It was a real amp not an April Fools amp .. The amp was up on Ebay for sale but the owner removed it before it was sold. Strange ?

Bob
    plexus
    plexus

Post by plexus Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:54 pm

I am Italian so I can make fun of Italians. need I say more about this amp? if I designed it I would have spaced out the tubes more, or grouped them together to allow more flat marble surface area to serve cheese. I think a couple small gold lion sculptures would look great on each front corner!
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:07 pm

needs new transformer covers, and granite instead of marble!
    GP49

Post by GP49 Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:33 am

Drilling the holes in the marble is easily farmed out. There are people who cut holes in marble, granite and other stone for making sinks and countertops. Give them a template and they use a high-pressure water jet to do the dirty work.

Some enthusiasts have mounted their turntables on plinths made of slate. They have the cutout and the tonearm mounting hole, if applicable, cut out the same way. The advantage is mass; the same amount of vibrational energy generated by a turntable motor and bearings will dissipate more effectively in a massive plinth, compared to a lightweight wooden box; and slate is much heavier than the same volume of plywood, making for a smaller slate plinth for the same mass than stacked layers of plywood.

Whether suppression of vibration was the goal of this amplifier, or pure cosmetics, I can't tell. If cosmetics were the only reason, why the dull black original finish on the transformers?
    Tom

Post by Tom Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:40 am

A. Seems like a great way to help get rid of heat and
    B. I agree with Plexus. The xfmrs should be spraypainted gold and
    the lions should spout water. (caution safety hazard!)

Smile Tom
    GP49

Post by GP49 Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:08 am

He also forgot to add an engraved gold-plated nameplate in Latin... Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:15 am