The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
Tube Nube
WntrMute2
plexus
pigface
8 posters

my SP14 build

pigface

my SP14 build  - Page 2 Empty Re: my SP14 build

Post by pigface Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Roy , I literally stumbled on that part 3 build page less than an hour before you posted your reply ! It would have been better a few days ago . Smile But I learned a few things that I wouldn't have otherwise . I didn't even try to contact you about it yet because I knew you were busy and I wanted to try to figure it out myself. As for th PH15 being easier , I don't want to sound like I know what I'm doing , but the SP14 build , except for the jumper problem went pretty easy . It actually took less time than the build of my ST120 . But I studied the first two build pages every day for a few weeks before I even ordered it .

I finally got to spend Sunday afternoon and evening to the SP14 .
    First off my old system , I thought sounded good , a Carver M-1.0t amp and C1 preamp powering first a pair of Infinity Kappa 8's and now Kappa 6's .( I moved the 8's down to my main listening room ) I had to equalize them at lower volumes to get them to sound like I thought they should sound . Less so or not at all at higher listening volumes . These speakers seem to need some power going through them to sound at their best .
    With the SP14 I don't need the eq in the system any more . This is dead quiet with no hum at all . First the bass is much tighter and solid sounding no "muddyness" ? The highs are cleaner and clearer not "bright" sounding at all . Like I think someone else mentioned with theirs I noticed the mids were a little harsh sounding at first on some of the vocals but after a few hours and CD's that smoothed out some already and started sounding better . I'll see how it sounds once it fully breaks in . I haven't had the chance to listen to any vinyl on it yet . But so far I'm very happy how it sounds . Much better than before .

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:05 am