The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

DC heated driver stage for ST70 type amp.

sailor

DC heated driver stage for ST70 type amp. Empty DC heated driver stage for ST70 type amp.

Post by sailor Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Dear bottle heads please forgive me!
    If a diode style rectifier is used for the 5AR4 then it would free up the 5 volt 4 amp 5AR4 heater. If this was run to a voltage doubler circuit you would have 10 volts at 2 amps. Then run to a voltage regulator to lower the voltage to 6 volts. Then use this regulated 6 volt DC to run the driver board heaters. If 10 volts is too high you can add a resistor and another capacitor before the regulator. Maximum required parts I would think would be 4-1N4007 diodes, 4 electrolytic caps. 1 resistor, 1 regulator with heat sink and a small board to mount everything. This would free up an extra .6 to 1 amp of 6volt heater to heat up KT88 or KT 120 that would normally push the limit of the older amps. The transformer should run a little cooler and I would think lower noise in the driver stage a little.
    But of course you commit the sin of replacing the 5AR4 with diodes. That would surely send a good bottle head to purgatory for a long while. What do you think?
    sailor

DC heated driver stage for ST70 type amp. Empty Re: DC heated driver stage for ST70 type amp.

Post by sailor Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Actually I caught a couple of errors. First the 5 volt transformer taps would need to be run to 2 rectifier diodes to turn it into positive DC. Then 2 caps arranged to double the voltage to 10 volts. [Google voltage doubler] Then a resistor to lower the voltage to around 7 volts and then another cap. Next is the 6 volt regulator on a heat sink. Then to the driver board.

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:04 pm