The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

The Paoli 60M

Bobzilla

The Paoli 60M

Post by Bobzilla on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:38 am

Just wondering if anybody has had any experience with the legendary Paoli 60M?
    For those who don't remember, this was an amplifier that got absolutely rave reviews during its short production run and the pertinent point for this forum is that it was a modified Dyna MKIII. The power supply was beefed up on an extension chassis along with numerous audio circuitry changes.
    Are you old enough to remember???

Bob Latino
    Admin

Re: The Paoli 60M

Post by Bob Latino on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:16 am

I do remember the Paoli M60 amps from the 1970's and actually saw a pair one time at the home of Mark Voigt in Providence, RI. Mark is a tube enthusiast who sells vintage tube gear on Ebay as "soundbug1". I did not listen to the amps at Mark's home so I cannot comment on their sound ..

The Paoli amps were designed and built by Eugene Coggins and Walter Key and made in Paoli, PA by the company "Paoli High Fidelity Consultants, Inc". Each amp was built on a Dynaco Mark III 9 inch by 9 inch chassis with a separate "addition chassis" of about 4.5 inches X 9 inches connected to the main chassis. The addition chassis housed the power supply. It is my understanding that the amps were created to compete with the new (at that time) Audio Research tube amps that came out in the 1970's. Now and then I have seen these amps for sale on Ebay. Below are two photos of these amps ...

Two Paoli M60's

Interior wiring of one Paoli M60

Bob

Bobzilla

Post by Bobzilla on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks for the reply and the pictures Bob.
    Does it not amaze that the Dyna components can sound so good, often IN SPITE of the wiring practices! Just looking at the pictures ... the transformers are crammed right next to each other and directly adjacent to the tubes. The wiring is far from "Politically Correct", barely twisted and some are just floating in the air.
    Still, what a great classic brand!
    Seriously, thanks for helping keep this DIY hobby alive!!!

Bob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:04 am

Current date/time is Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:04 am