The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Used Tung Sol 6550

bdl marine

Used Tung Sol 6550 Empty Used Tung Sol 6550

Post by bdl marine Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:28 pm

I have an opportunity to buy 2 pair unmatched original tung sols that test well but are not matched. How do Mk3's do with unmatched tubes and is there any guideline to go by for what the amp will tolerate? I can get them checked for match but at that point I own them. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by bdl marine on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:29 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Used Tung Sol 6550 Empty Re: Used Tung Sol 6550

Post by anbitet66 Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:17 pm

By all means, if the price is right, go for it and don't worry about a little mismatch. As tubes age with use, even a matched pair slowly becomes mismatched. Your Dynaco amp did take this into account and matching of the tubes was preferred, but not essential. If you test them (or can have them tested) you can arrange them into as closely matched pairs as you can and just enjoy them as they are.

My assumption is you can get these tubes for a really good price. I'd never turn down an opportunity to aquire used tubes. Used to be someone discarded an electronic device and I happened to pass by, or sometimes a fleamarket purchase, or even eBlech can be a source. I recently purchased 2 used "matched" 7199's from ebay for $29 including shipping. They tested ok, but the real test was to drop them into the amp and listen for hum, hiss, or other issues. Luckily they were just fine. Yes, they were a crap shoot, but for the price, I felt is was an acceptable gamble. Now if they were to sell for five times that price, I'd let the next guy have them.

Other people's opinions may vary from mine, but I don't see why you shouldn't get them, and just try them out, just make sure you test them form shorts and leakage so you don't damage your amplifier. Let your ears be your guide.

Wink

Tony
    bdl marine

Post by bdl marine Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:31 pm

The price is ok at 300 for the quad. Date early 70's Sure is a crap shoot

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:22 pm