The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+7
mike mytko
Pillo69
Bob Latino
Roy Mottram
kevinmi
wedg714
baddog1946
11 posters

Where do I find vinyl these days??

baddog1946
    baddog1946

Where do I find vinyl these days?? Empty Where do I find vinyl these days??

Post by baddog1946 Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:31 pm

looking at the forum recently I am pleasantly (surprised??) at how many postings are concerned with phono stage devices and how much new interest there is in vinyl. I would like to know where to go to find a lot of music from the age of vinyl that I cannot locate in other media? Especially jazz and blues stuff that I had in days gone by and that was never recorded again is very hard to find on CD.
    There is something magic about the sound of a tone arm being dragged over plastic that digital music doesn't quite match.Where does one find it other than ebay? Are there some sites or other sources members could recommend to obtain vinyl content?
    Is there a service where digital content can be cut to vinyl? I shop at used music stores whenever possible but the vinyl selection is usually usually in poor condition and a minimal selection so that doesn't make it for an ardent collector.
    Strangely enough at least in Canada you can still borrow vinyl from the public library (mostly classical stuff) but that is borrowing and is inconvenient if you want to listen to something often.
    wedg714
    wedg714

Where do I find vinyl these days?? Empty Re: Where do I find vinyl these days??

Post by wedg714 Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:05 pm

living where you do can be a problem. i have several people who actively look for the kind of vinyl that i collect. they purchase them at flea markets, yard sales, thrift shops, etc. they know what i like, which is mostly obscure psych rock from the 60's and 70's. they sell what i don't want to other collectors. i usually get first choice since i've been dealing with them for years and i don't haggle prices. i mostly pay from .50 to $5.00 each depending on condition and rarity. my collection numbers about 5000 with no duplicates. if i find a better copy of a record i have, i sell it on ePay. living in costa rica could pose a problem since i don't know whether you have flea markets and thrift stores there. if you've purchased records on ePay in the past you might contact the sellers you've dealt with and have them keep an eye out for records that you might like and give you first choice. one of your main problems is going to be shipping costs though. one record shipped media mail can cost about $3.00 and i don't know if you can ship to costa rica media mail. i would recommend finding a reliable sourse in the u.s. or a friend who knows what you like who lives in the u.s. and only ship when you have a bunch of records to keep the cost down
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Post by baddog1946 Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:26 pm

I have a couple of audiophile buddies in Canada who do exactly what your friends do but in my case I only pick them up on my visits back to Canada but that is very hit and miss . Its not practical to try and work from here. There was no real market here in the vinyl age so nothing is available to buy used. I did find a beautiful old 1957 vintage Philips AM-FM tube radio though I am working on.
    I was hoping because of the revival of interest in vinyl there would be an exchange or website devoted to vinyl trading or similar resource. Might be a good thing to start up.
    wedg714
    wedg714

Post by wedg714 Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:39 pm

google "vinyl record shows". there will be a wealth of info. you may find something to help. i personnally stay away from shows since they are usually quite a distance and the offerings can be very high priced. you might also google "vinyl record dealers" and see what is offered
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:52 pm

Try Amazon. They have a whole vinyl store, plus there are many other vendors that sell through the Amazon website. I have bought a boatload of vinyl from there and have had really great results!
    wedg714
    wedg714

Post by wedg714 Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:25 pm

the prices on amazon are ridiculous. most of the new stuff is recorded in digital. there's no sense playing vinyl unless it's recorded in analog. if you want digital, buy cd's. if you want original recordings from the 60's and 70's you have to hunt real hard for it. i'd rather have an original recording from the 60's in vg+ condition than a new reissued digitally recorded mint record. there's a huge difference in sound quality. for instance, on zeps first album, you can hear a phone ringing in the recording studio on an original recording but you won't hear it on a reissued record or cd. a lot of the music is lost in digital recordings.
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:49 pm

wedg714 wrote:the prices on amazon are ridiculous. most of the new stuff is recorded in digital. there's no sense playing vinyl unless it's recorded in analog. if you want digital, buy cd's. if you want original recordings from the 60's and 70's you have to hunt real hard for it. i'd rather have an original recording from the 60's in vg+ condition than a new reissued digitally recorded mint record. there's a huge difference in sound quality. for instance, on zeps first album, you can hear a phone ringing in the recording studio on an original recording but you won't hear it on a reissued record or cd. a lot of the music is lost in digital recordings.
    I just bought a used record from one of the vendors(on Amazon) last week for $2.98 and it was in perfect shape! It was from the eighties, so not as old as an original Led Zep, but you get my point. I have both vintage records and new re-released records, and I think the new records sound great for the most part. Plus they are pressed on 180 gram vinyl instead of the flimsy paper thin lp's of old.
    I have had some luck on some of the Hi-Fi forums finding vintage lps. Audio Asylum has a guy from Canada selling 10,000 lps right now. Audiogon has some for sale also, but the prices can get pretty steep. Sometimes the hunt is just as fun as the purchase for me. I recently ran across a sealed King Crimson lp located in Great Britian! It only took a week to get here, and was in excellent shape!
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:17 pm

get a catalog from MusicDirect.com
    vinyl heaven!
    wedg714
    wedg714

Post by wedg714 Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:52 pm

check out ebay seller "eddieville". i've bought quite a lot of vintage vinyl from him. he's a great record grader. if you let him know what you're looking for, he may be able to help. he does get some blues and jazz from time to time. he gets higher than average prices because he is known as a good grader. i've never been disappointed in his vinyl
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:56 pm

tubes4hifi wrote:get a catalog from MusicDirect.com
    vinyl heaven!
    I got their newest catalog a week or two ago. It's enough to make a grown man drool!
    wedg714
    wedg714

Post by wedg714 Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:20 pm

i guess it depends on what you're looking for. if you want new or reissued recordings then amazon and the others are the place to look. but if you want original recordings and obscure recordings like i do, then you have to search for it or have someone out there to search for it for you. good luck hunting
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:11 pm

There is a Salvation Army store fairly close to where I live. All their used vinyl is $1.00 an album. OK - maybe 80 to 90% of the vinyl is too scratched up for me but every now and then you can find a real gem. One day I actually found a SEALED copy of Steely Dan's Aja album for a buck. Another day I walked in there and found two audiophile "Command" records from the early '60's that were as new and had not a scratch on either one.

This is the same store that I got the two ($340 a pair) Kef C-45 bookshelf speakers for $7.99 the pair > Kef speaker bargain link

Bob

Pillo69
    Pillo69

Post by Pillo69 Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:46 am

mike mytko

Post by mike mytko Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:03 pm

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/

Found this place, looks promising.
    Tom

Post by Tom Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:49 am

Salvation Army has been berry berry good to me. (to paraphrase an old SNL bit)

Soundstage Direct has already been mentioned.

Another good one is Acoustic Sounds: http://store.acousticsounds.com/cat/5/Vinyl_Records

If you do Orlando (Disney or whatever) check out Rock and Roll Heaven: http://www.rock-n-rollheaven.com/ (high prices but great stuff)

Or Cocoa Beach - Carolines: http://www.carolinesrecords.com/ (not as high quality but great prices)

My VTA SP-8 preamp with NOS RCA cleartops,
    Technics table with Denon DL-110 MC cart,
    LM-3886 chipamp and Totem Forests
    ROCK the old vinyl.
    My youngest even brings his HS friends over to listen.

Smile Tom

avi.inc

Post by avi.inc Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:02 am

I been very happy with them.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Where do I find vinyl these days?? Empty Sound Stage

Post by Tube Nube Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:37 pm

+1 re-SoundStageDirect.

They've been my main source since my return to vinyl!

They have especially good selections of Jazz and Blues.

Sometimes I compare prices across sites, just to make sure I'm not paying too much.

Shipping to Canada kinda hurts, but if you order 5 or 6 records at a time . . . you save. :-p

mike mytko wrote:http://www.soundstagedirect.com/

Found this place, looks promising.
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:12 am

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uturnaudio/the-orbit-turntable-0

If you have records, you need a turntable to play them with. I saw this on yahoo earlier, and to say I'm interested is putting it mildly. $150 for an audiophile grade turntable?

Any opinions? I mean I have a Technics el-cheapo I bought new that needs work because of wow and flutter problems. Probably would cost at least as much to fix it, so this may be worth a look. Tony
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:12 am

I'm confused, ambite, teh price attached is $48k.

Personally, I'm a big vinyl fan, and I doubt digital will ever eclipse it performance wise. Advertising wise? Well, Digigal music is one of so many examples of the triumph of spin over substance.

You won't get an audiophile record player for $150, but for a few hundred you can get legitimate hi fi decks, like Pro Ject, Rega, or a second hand Linn. After that you can build on them. Once you jump in, you will never see such good sound per dollar in the digital domain.

Br careful, though. It is a pandora's box of truth. Don't open it if you can't tolerate hearing the "truth."
    wedg714
    wedg714

Post by wedg714 Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:19 am

i agree with tube nube. anyone can call anything audiophile quality. there's no scale to determine what is audiophile quality and what isn't. if you're on a tight budget, you might look at a used technics 1200 mark 2. i have owned one for 15 years and it has performed flawlessly. i also own a denon 62L which has an auto lift/shut off feature. great for late at night when you might be prone to dose off. if you're patient, you can fing a great used table for a lot less than new, but you have to be patient. there are bargains out there. a lot of used tt's have been sitting in garages and attics for years. cd's put them there. i recently bought a 1200 mark 2 on epay for $100.00 and flipped it for $300.00. also, there are a lot of proven decks new out there that can be purchased for a few hundred. i wouldn't want to waste my hard earned money on a $150.00 piece of chinese junk. i wonder why they have their faces covered up in their ad???
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:39 am

Cheap unipivot arm, non-adjustable speed motor, unknown company sends up many red flags! You are better off buying a used name brand turntable that has a good reputation. It only takes playing a record one time on a bad turntable to ruin the album. If you value your vinyl, buy a reputable turntable and set it up correctly. If you do not know how to set up a turntable, there are many free resources available out there to help you.
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:56 am

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57560453-47/a-made-in-the-u.s-audiophile-grade-turntable-for-$150/

This is the article I saw on yahoo by blogger Steve Guttenberg. The $48K (now near $54K) is the capitol being raised to fund the project. And they are to be made in the U.S. It still sounds interesting to me, and I'd be more interested if the project turns out to be a success.
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:22 pm

anbitet66 wrote:http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57560453-47/a-made-in-the-u.s-audiophile-grade-turntable-for-$150/

This is the article I saw on yahoo by blogger Steve Guttenberg. The $48K (now near $54K) is the capitol being raised to fund the project. And they are to be made in the U.S. It still sounds interesting to me, and I'd be more interested if the project turns out to be a success.

I hope they make a go of it also. I'm sure it will be better than the cheap imported stuff you can buy at that price point. I just have a problem with calling it audiophile quality. I would hate to see the company get off to a bad start by getting bad publicity for claiming to be something it isn't. Their basic design is comparable to the entry level offerings from Rega and Pro-Ject, although less expensive. Something to watch, for sure.
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Yes, absolutely. I just looked at Pro-Ject's website, and some of their offerings are around $400. Not too shabby for decent quality. My only reservation is that the uturnaudio turntable is made from MDF; the base and the platter. For $250, you can get it in green or black and the platter is made of acrylic. Either way, they are looking to raise $60,000 and as of my posting they only needed about $3500 to reach their goal. Lets see what happens. Tony

(Update: They just hit $60,000.)

Last edited by anbitet66 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added update)
    wedg714
    wedg714

Post by wedg714 Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:35 pm

i smell a scam

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:03 am