The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

• Reply to topic

Tablet for FLAC files?

Tom

Tablet for FLAC files?

Post by Tom on Mon May 06, 2013 12:34 pm

Suggestions?

Looking for something small with 2 USBs, one for a DAC and one for external storage. Just going to be used as a music download(er?) / player.

Currently using a laptop but would like a much smaller footprint next to the turntable.

Bob got me going on this dang FLAC file thing. Razz

TorontoDave

Re: Tablet for FLAC files?

Post by TorontoDave on Mon May 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Tom wrote:Suggestions?

Looking for something small with 2 USBs, one for a DAC and one for external storage. Just going to be used as a music download(er?) / player.

Currently using a laptop but would like a much smaller footprint next to the turntable.

You'd honestly be better off with a Mac Mini (or something similar) wired into the dac/external HDD.

Use the phone or tablet of your choice to control the music playback. I use rompr and MPC - but there are several alternatives.

Dave

j beede

Post by j beede on Mon May 06, 2013 2:27 pm

Apple TV or Airport Express is $99. Broadcast from your 32gb or 64gb iphone or any iTunes WiFi device and have a wireless server and remote in your pocket at all times.

Windup

Post by Windup on Mon May 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Mac mini's are cheap in the used market or, an older Macbook. I use both. One as my music server with USB drive(s) attached/shared and the other as the player in another room/floor. Both allow you to use TOSlink to the DAC, too!

With this I also run VNC server on each and can access either host from my phone (VNC client) or iPad to select music.

bcinnamon

Post by bcinnamon on Mon May 06, 2013 8:47 pm

Usually I recycle laptops from the kids once the screen or keyboard gets flaky (but still OK when controlled remotely). One challenge I found with older Mac laptops (Windows, too) is that the latest versions of cool stuff - iTunes, Remote, iCloud -- don't work on very old machines. The good thing is that if you have all the music on an external drive, it's easy to move the drive to a newer machine when your hardware can't support the new software that you really need.

DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba on Mon May 06, 2013 9:39 pm

TorontoDave wrote:
Tom wrote:Suggestions?

You'd honestly be better off with a Mac Mini (or something similar) wired into the dac/external HDD.

Use the phone or tablet of your choice to control the music playback. I use rompr and MPC - but there are several alternatives.

Dave

I wasn't aware Dynaco ever made tablets and laptops and phones. What kind of tubes do they use? lol!

Sprags

Post by Sprags on Tue May 07, 2013 12:58 am

A tablet with 1 or 2 standard USB ports to handle an EHDD or flash drive would be nice with something other than iTunes as a music manager would be nice.

Tom

Post by Tom on Tue May 07, 2013 7:13 am

My thoughts exactly Mr. Sprags.
Winamp for the player, Android for OS.
Now to find the device.

Thanks All for the suggestions. Smile

And Darth, expect to see vacuum tubes on the DeathStar sometime soon;
tubes, as we all know, have certain advantages over semiconductors.

http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc99/11_6_99/fob2.htm

Very Happy

fxb1982

Post by fxb1982 on Tue May 07, 2013 8:33 am

I was looking for pretty much the same idea. I heavily contemplated the Mac Mini which still may be the way to go in my opinion. I ended up with a 320GB Gateway Netbook for $200: http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/lt-series/lt-series
I removed all the bloatware and other unnecessary to me programs and use it as a music file only player. I also upgraded the RAM from 1GB to 2GB for $10.

It has some size to the hard drive, handles iTunes and iTunes remote via Wi-Fi, has the USB connectivity, and is near tablet size. I use it with a driver-less Shiit Modi which sounds great playing MP3's and FLAC using foobar2000. For about $350 it has proved to be a pretty convenient player setup for me.

Just a thought.

BJ

DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba on Tue May 07, 2013 12:44 pm

Tom wrote:And Darth, expect to see vacuum tubes on the DeathStar sometime soon;
tubes, as we all know, have certain advantages over semiconductors.

http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc99/11_6_99/fob2.htm

Very Happy

Anybody remember the Nuvistor? (Besides Bob) farao

GP49

Post by GP49 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 am

[quote="DarthBubba"]
Tom wrote:
Anybody remember the Nuvistor? (Besides Bob) farao

And RCA's bad pun, in the name of the TV sets that used Nuvistors in their tuners? The "New Vista" series?

Not including, of course, the "New Vista Color Solid State" models.

The Nuvistor tube had much lower inter-electrode capacitance than the 7-pin and 9-pin miniature tubes
they replaced, making them better for use in radio-frequency applications.

Tom

Post by Tom on Wed May 08, 2013 6:38 am

BJ,

Thanks for the heads up on the netbooks. Very close to what I'm working toward. Would rather have a small tablet to lay flat than a notebook/netbook but the $$ and capability are exactly correct.

Very nice.

Oh and heck yeah on the Modi! Crazy good for $99 bucks!

Smile

Tom

harpy

Post by harpy on Wed May 08, 2013 8:35 am

I would build a PC with a mini ITX mother board with an external power brick. There are some very small cases and you wouldn't be locked in to a USB Dac. PC Audiophile is a good place for info.

harpy

Post by harpy on Wed May 08, 2013 8:36 am

I would build a PC with a mini ITX mother board with an external power brick. There are some very small cases and you wouldn't be locked in to a USB Dac. PC Audiophile is a good place for info.

fxb1982

Post by fxb1982 on Wed May 08, 2013 9:18 am

Hey Tom!

You bet. There are lots of options. A tablet size/portability wise is hard to beat. Like a Netbook it comes with a resident monitor which cuts down on connection clutter. Harpy brings up a good point I have also considered. I will probably build a music only computer from scratch sometime in the future. I have spoken to some savvy computer builders at my local Micro Center and it appears it wouldn't take much to build such a machine. It also allows for flexibility in ending up with exactly what you want with better quality components as compared to off the shelf products.

So many possibilities, so little time/$!

Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

BJ
  • Reply to topic

Current date/time is Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:44 pm