The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
Bob Latino
hawaii.ken
kygeezer
7 posters

6CA7EH or 6P3C-E in Mark III?

GP49

6CA7EH or 6P3C-E in Mark III? - Page 2 Empty Re: 6CA7EH or 6P3C-E in Mark III?

Post by GP49 Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:16 pm

I'm basing it on failure rates and inconsistency...not just those reported on audiophile boards, but also by personal experience on my own equipment and amplifiers that I serviced while I was in the repair business.

No matter how good a particular tube type from a particular manufacturer might sound, my rule has been: one failure can be a fluke.  Two is a trend.  Three is disqualification.
    Jim McShane

6CA7EH or 6P3C-E in Mark III? - Page 2 Empty Re: 6CA7EH or 6P3C-E in Mark III?

Post by Jim McShane Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:53 pm

So you are not talking about "close" meaning construction features or any such hard issues. You just wanted to say that old stock is better quality in your experience/opinion. Okay, fine. But that isn't all that helpful to a person trying to decide which power tube to use in a Mk III.

So I'll try to get back on topic by saying that the 6CA7 beam tetrode is tonally more like a 6550/KT88 than the pure pentode EL34 - regardless of when the tube was made. They share that common construction, and while as Roy said the 6CA7 doesn't have the power the larger tubes have, it can be a very satisfying listening experience.

One other thing to consider - 6P3S-E heaters draw about .6 amps per tube less than the EL34s. That lighter load allows the heater voltage to rise which MAY put the heater voltage higher than you'd like. It's worth checking if you are running 6L6/6P3S-E family tubes in your amp.

Last edited by Jim McShane on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix typo)

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:43 am