The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+7
sKiZo
anbitet66
Analog Man
ruffian
Sal
Bob Latino
Maintarget
11 posters

ST-120 start up!

Maintarget
    Maintarget

ST-120 start up! - Page 2 Empty Re: ST-120 start up!

Post by Maintarget Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Did my 14 hours at work and headed straight for the ST-120 when I got home, with much caution plugged in the JJ GZ34 and flicked the on switch, Biased the output tubes, got-em close.
    The moment of truth queued up some Jimmy Vaughan using computer and external DAC and Klipsch Heresy's, Success!!!
    "Blown away" and you say this will sound even better when it's broken in? UN believable,
    Gee all I have to do now is kick back and listen for a hundred hours, Did I mention "Blown away"
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Save up and buy a good vintage Mullard (or other vintage brand) GZ34 tube and it will last far longer than the current production tubes available. The Weber Copper Cap is also a durable solid state plug in alternative that will last much longer than a tube rectifier, in my experience.But I prefer tubes,so I risk burning up vintage rectifier tubes. I'm running a Mullard GZ 33 right now, but that's a whole different story...
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:08 pm

I'm completely satisfied for now to just sit back for 100 hours of break in and listen to the music magic!
    After break in there will be some tube rolling action in my future!

ArlanB called it accurately the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction of assembling an outstanding sounding amp and have it actually work is just an amazing feeling I have been listening all day, certain songs/recordings, instruments just jump out at you, makes the hair on my arms stand up.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Maintarget wrote: makes the hair on my arms stand up.
    Maybe a grounding issue ... tongue 

Makes me wonder if you can build a box to do the tube break in in advance ...
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

Post by Maintarget Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:02 pm

I was reviewing some of my notes and noticed it has been just over a year since my original post describing my ST-120 start up issues well I'm happy to report I have had zero issues since and I'm still using the JJ GZ34 rectifier tube installed at that time!
    I do have another JJ GZ34, two spare Sovtek 5AR4 and two WZ68 Copper caps on hand just in case, If my system goes down Ill have to be institutionalized affraid
    I have 550 trouble free hours on my amp and am still very impressed with the incredible sound it produces, after a variety of tube's rolled I have been extremely satisfied with RCA black plate 12BH7 in the outboard positions and my favorite "Panasonic" labeled 12BH7 that Is my go to center tube.
    I also changed out the KT88s out for some KT120 (385 hours on em) great combination IMHO for my system.
    I added a Schiit Gungnir DAC about 485 hours ago and have been very impressed by it's ability to UN package and release the true accurate sound of instruments and voices it has truly upped the quality of the sound from my digital recordings.
    I have also acquired a couple of Dynaco FM-3 tuners, a one piece circuit board and just about all the new components needed for a complete rebuild and will complete some time early 2015.
    I just got the OK from the boss (Wife queen ) to buy a SP-14 pre amp! looking at options now and will be discussing with Roy soon cant wait!!!
    After a year I'm so happy I decided to go with the Tubes4hifi kit amp it is truly an amazing bargain for a person like my self that wants to have an incredible sounding system but cant afford to spend two or three times what I did for the ST-120 and it sounds as good or better than the more expensive systems and best of all I assembled it with my own two hands and with the help and support of many on this forum, am I proud?
    Heck yes I tell everyone every chance i get Very Happy
    Thank you all

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:29 am