The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Line level input voltage for Ultimate Pas Pre

Elrick

Line level input voltage for Ultimate Pas Pre  Empty Line level input voltage for Ultimate Pas Pre

Post by Elrick Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:39 pm

I've built what Roy termed the Ultimate Pas 3 which is the regulated PS, Aikido line stage board and the PH10 Phono board. Very happy with the sound. I just picked up here locally a very nice Pioneer Rt-707 reel to reel player that has adjustable line out pots. From the manual it mentions that the center of the range is 450mV and full scale is 700mV. I'm just running the output at full CW or 700mV because that put's it at roughly the same loudness compared to using other sources.

I'm wondering what the correct line input voltage should be for my set up? Any thoughts?
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Line level input voltage for Ultimate Pas Pre  Empty Re: Line level input voltage for Ultimate Pas Pre

Post by Roy Mottram Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:39 pm

Line level is normally considered to be 500mv
    GP49

Line level input voltage for Ultimate Pas Pre  Empty Re: Line level input voltage for Ultimate Pas Pre

Post by GP49 Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:37 pm

"Line level" is a nominal signal level in decibels, compared to a reference standard.  

So you have to start from the reference standard, then make assumptions as to what the nominal line level is going to be.

For the reference standard, consumer applications generally use dBV (Decibel volts) while professional equipment uses dBu (Decibels unloaded).

Consumer equipment: 0dB = One dBv = 1 volt RMS across a 1kΩ load  (the voltage needed to develop 1 mW across 1kΩ).

Professional equipment: 0dB = One dBu = 0.775 volt RMS across a 600Ω load  (the voltage needed to develop 1 mW across 600Ω).  

The most common (this is where assumptions come in) nominal line level for consumer equipment is −10 dBV, or 0.316 volts RMS/0.447 volts peak amplitude (double that for peak-to-peak).

The most common (this is where assumptions come in) nominal line level for professional equipment is +4 dBu, or 1.228 volts RMS/1.736 volts peak amplitude (double that for peak-to-peak).

Note that other assumptions can be made than the most common, resulting in possible mismatches between components.

NOTE: I do remember that in the alignment process for some consumer equipment - specific example I can remember right now, TEAC reel-to-reel decks - the manufacturer specified 0 dB at the professional-standard 0.775 volts...or maybe TEAC considered them "professional."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:30 pm