The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products


    the articles "a", and "an '.

    Share

    ramon68

    Posts : 87
    Join date : 2009-04-12
    Age : 76
    Location : naples fl

    the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by ramon68 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:30 pm

    I've been reading posts for years in which the article "an" is used before "stereo 70" or "stereo 120".
    I was taught 65+ years ago that "a" is used before a word beginning with a consonant, (a stereo 70),
    and "an", before a word beginning with a vowel, (an amp), and the rules still apply.

    Captain Coconut

    Posts : 213
    Join date : 2009-10-13
    Age : 64
    Location : Great White North

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by Captain Coconut on Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:17 pm

    It's funny you should mention this. I was just thinking about "a" and "an" before the word unique. We should be saying "that was an unique thing", not "that was a unique thing". But it sounds better the second way - and easier to say!

    buchela

    Posts : 30
    Join date : 2011-03-09

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by buchela on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:43 pm


    It's funny you should mention this. I was just thinking about "a" and "an" before the word unique. We should be saying "that was an unique thing", not "that was a unique thing". But it sounds better the second way - and easier to say!



    I new dear was sumting rung width the sahon ov meye VTA. I inkstall the rung artiecle

    sKiZo

    Posts : 1309
    Join date : 2013-04-01
    Location : Michigan USA

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by sKiZo on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:34 pm

    I was taught 65+ years ago that an "a" is used before a word beginning with a consonant.

    (yore welcome)  clown 

    arledgsc

    Posts : 340
    Join date : 2012-11-30
    Location : SF Bay CA

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by arledgsc on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:40 pm

    OK smarty pants...  How would you say the follow sentence?  "Does the word 'physician' start with (a or an) 'f'  or 'ph' " ?

    DarthBubba

    Posts : 81
    Join date : 2012-05-05

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by DarthBubba on Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:43 pm

    arledgsc wrote:OK smarty pants...  How would you say the follow sentence?  "Does the word 'physician' start with (a or an) 'f'  or 'ph' " ?

    In my experience a physician usually starts with a cup of coffee.   affraid 

    -DB

    sKiZo

    Posts : 1309
    Join date : 2013-04-01
    Location : Michigan USA

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by sKiZo on Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:30 am


    "Does the word 'physician' start with an f'ing 'f' or an f'ing 'ph' " ?  tongue 




    GP49

    Posts : 732
    Join date : 2009-04-30
    Location : East of the sun and west of the moon

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by GP49 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:36 pm

    I have always used:

    "A Stereo 70."

    "An ST-70 (because of the way letter "S" is pronounced, making it 'EssTeeSeventy')."

    As for "unique," there is no "more unique" or "most unique" or "one of the most unique" of anything. UNIQUE means there is ONE. Period.

    An apostrophe pet peeve: the improper use of "it's" when what is really meant is "its," not "it is." This has spread to an apostrophe-s being appended to proper names such as in, "I prefer the sound of Telefunken's." This isn't really new, though. I saw it in print in a 1960 advertisement in a stereo magazine: "...This is why more Garrard Type A's have been sold..."

    But then I have found that on my iPad Mini, the autocorrect defaults to "it's" even when I really did mean "its." Then I have to go and override it. Phooey.

    buchela

    Posts : 30
    Join date : 2011-03-09

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by buchela on Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:28 pm

    GP: You really beat the crap out of the grammar text books , don't you ?

    GP49

    Posts : 732
    Join date : 2009-04-30
    Location : East of the sun and west of the moon

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by GP49 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:46 pm

    buchela wrote:GP: You really beat the crap out of the grammar text books , don't you ?

    Mrs. Shepardson, my high school English teacher would have expected no less.   study 

    It's her fault, perhaps, that I get so annoyed by misuse of the language, especially when people demonstrate that they
    couldn't care less...such as when they say, "I could care less"  scratch but really mean the opposite.  

    Honestly, though, I do take SOME measure of pride in being able to speak and write the language correctly.  Very Happy

    Maintarget

    Posts : 209
    Join date : 2013-02-10

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by Maintarget on Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:09 pm

    Either way works for me I'm bilingual lol!

    Laminarman

    Posts : 110
    Join date : 2009-12-30

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by Laminarman on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:26 am

    Good God, this forum is really stretching for suitable material, eh??

    deepee99

    Posts : 1333
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by deepee99 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:45 am

    An honourable discussion, and a historic one, too, legerdemain. (Just what is a laminarian, anyway? The O.E.D. makes vague reference to algae . . .) An old friend Greg used to say, "The last name is Palmer, that's Palmer, starts with a 'P', as in Pterodactyl."
    As a life-long paid abuser of the King's English (we were once called reporters: journalists were either out-of-work print reporters or those dreadful mannequins who talk at you in front of kinescopes) I assure you that all rules applicable to grammar, diction and even spelling as outlined in the AP Stylebook and Strunk & White's Elements of Style are ironclad except when they ain't.
    When overload occurs, might one suggest taking up one's fly rod and attempting to catch a ghoti. Or pondering which among flammable and inflammable objects will explode first, or where the Brits get that extra "i" in aluminum. Or what "partially destroyed" means.

    Captain Coconut

    Posts : 213
    Join date : 2009-10-13
    Age : 64
    Location : Great White North

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by Captain Coconut on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:15 am

    Proper grammar is of paramount importance. As they say, it's the difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you're nuts.

     Very Happy 

    deepee99

    Posts : 1333
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by deepee99 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:21 am

    Saw a lot of great bands at the Paramount. Important ones, too.

    Laminarman

    Posts : 110
    Join date : 2009-12-30

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by Laminarman on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:28 am

    deepee99 wrote:An honourable discussion, and a historic one, too, legerdemain. (Just what is a laminarian, anyway? The O.E.D. makes vague reference to algae . . .) An old friend Greg used to say, "The last name is Palmer, that's Palmer, starts with a 'P', as in Pterodactyl."
    As a life-long paid abuser of the King's English (we were once called reporters: journalists were either out-of-work print reporters or those dreadful mannequins who talk at you in front of kinescopes) I assure you that all rules applicable to grammar, diction and even spelling as outlined in the AP Stylebook and Strunk & White's Elements of Style are ironclad except when they ain't.
    When overload occurs, might one suggest taking up one's fly rod and attempting to catch a ghoti. Or pondering which among flammable and inflammable objects will explode first, or where the Brits get that extra "i" in aluminum. Or what "partially destroyed" means.

    The lamina cribrosa is a part of the optic nerve. I'm an optometrist. I've been mistaken for a hydraulics engineer (laminar flow), someone who (whom?) laminates linoleum onto counter tops, and had one fella ask me if I laminated wood for a living.

    deepee99

    Posts : 1333
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by deepee99 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:47 am

    Laminarman wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:An honourable discussion, and a historic one, too, legerdemain. (Just what is a laminarian, anyway? The O.E.D. makes vague reference to algae . . .) An old friend Greg used to say, "The last name is Palmer, that's Palmer, starts with a 'P', as in Pterodactyl."
    As a life-long paid abuser of the King's English (we were once called reporters: journalists were either out-of-work print reporters or those dreadful mannequins who talk at you in front of kinescopes) I assure you that all rules applicable to grammar, diction and even spelling as outlined in the AP Stylebook and Strunk & White's Elements of Style are ironclad except when they ain't.
    When overload occurs, might one suggest taking up one's fly rod and attempting to catch a ghoti. Or pondering which among flammable and inflammable objects will explode first, or where the Brits get that extra "i" in aluminum. Or what "partially destroyed" means.

    The lamina cribrosa is a part of the optic nerve.  I'm an optometrist.  I've been mistaken for a hydraulics engineer (laminar flow), someone who (whom?) laminates linoleum onto counter tops, and had one fella ask me if I laminated wood for a living.  

    Thank-you for the clarification. Are you an optimistic optometrist? I'll trade you a stash of TungSol 6550s for a cataract removal.

    Captain Coconut

    Posts : 213
    Join date : 2009-10-13
    Age : 64
    Location : Great White North

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by Captain Coconut on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:03 am

    I came up with this one a while ago. I mentioned it to an optometrist friend of mine and she cringed.

    'What do you call the situation where someone thinks they need glasses but really doesn't. An optical delusion'.

     lol! santa cheers 

    Laminarman

    Posts : 110
    Join date : 2009-12-30

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by Laminarman on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:15 pm

    deepee99 wrote:
    Laminarman wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:An honourable discussion, and a historic one, too, legerdemain. (Just what is a laminarian, anyway? The O.E.D. makes vague reference to algae . . .) An old friend Greg used to say, "The last name is Palmer, that's Palmer, starts with a 'P', as in Pterodactyl."
    As a life-long paid abuser of the King's English (we were once called reporters: journalists were either out-of-work print reporters or those dreadful mannequins who talk at you in front of kinescopes) I assure you that all rules applicable to grammar, diction and even spelling as outlined in the AP Stylebook and Strunk & White's Elements of Style are ironclad except when they ain't.
    When overload occurs, might one suggest taking up one's fly rod and attempting to catch a ghoti. Or pondering which among flammable and inflammable objects will explode first, or where the Brits get that extra "i" in aluminum. Or what "partially destroyed" means.

    The lamina cribrosa is a part of the optic nerve.  I'm an optometrist.  I've been mistaken for a hydraulics engineer (laminar flow), someone who (whom?) laminates linoleum onto counter tops, and had one fella ask me if I laminated wood for a living.  

    Thank-you for the clarification. Are you an optimistic optometrist? I'll trade you a stash of TungSol 6550s for a cataract removal.

    Very optimistic. I actually believe the VTA ST70 I'm building will function once I plug it in.

    Laminarman

    Posts : 110
    Join date : 2009-12-30

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by Laminarman on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:15 pm

    Captain Coconut wrote:I came up with this one a while ago. I mentioned it to an optometrist friend of mine and she cringed.

    'What do you call the situation where someone thinks they need glasses but really doesn't. An optical delusion'.  

     lol! santa cheers 

    OMG that's really bad. And I haven't heard that one before!

    deepee99

    Posts : 1333
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by deepee99 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:18 pm

    Laminarman wrote:
    Captain Coconut wrote:I came up with this one a while ago. I mentioned it to an optometrist friend of mine and she cringed.

    'What do you call the situation where someone thinks they need glasses but really doesn't. An optical delusion'.  

     lol! santa cheers 

    OMG that's really bad.  And I haven't heard that one before!

    Please don't encourage him. Far too many PUNdits blurk this bb already.

    frank

    Posts : 95
    Join date : 2011-02-14
    Location : Pacific Northwest

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by frank on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:07 pm

    Laminarman wrote:Very optimistic. I actually believe the VTA ST70 I'm building will function once I plug it in.

    Good luck! Please let us know when the "big day" arrives.......(so that we can unplug our sensitive electronic components)

    GP49

    Posts : 732
    Join date : 2009-04-30
    Location : East of the sun and west of the moon

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by GP49 on Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:33 am

    Laminarman wrote:
    OMG that's really bad.  And I haven't heard that one before!

    Yes, you have. You only THINK you haven't. That's called jumping to confusions.

    Tom

    Posts : 166
    Join date : 2011-04-04

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by Tom on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:44 pm

    This is an important topic
    that/which
    needs to be bumped to the top.
     Very Happy 


    Sponsored content

    Re: the articles "a", and "an '.

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:19 pm


      Current date/time is Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:19 pm