The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+36
pjp3
tkemmett
dougmon
TMadden
sKiZo
daveshel
wedg714
denny9167
hawaii.ken
quadaptor
hagmo
Tom
kaner
harpy
danskman
deepee99
Tube Nube
mantha3
j beede
frank
VikeMan
thevic24
Dingojazz
baddog1946
Greg_M
Luddite
j4570
SUNNFRK
Jhoman
Mark Korda
GP49
Reid
kevinmi
scott6058
LEVLHED
Bob Latino
40 posters

What are your favorite "test" CD's or LP's ?

deepee99
    deepee99

What are your favorite "test" CD's or LP's ? - Page 3 Empty Re: What are your favorite "test" CD's or LP's ?

Post by deepee99 Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:34 am

Laminarman wrote:Dang it all now I want to go listen to something.  I'm getting to the bank in a couple days to get a check out to some guy named "Bob" to get my VT70 kit (tee hee!!)  But I have a question.  Folks keep referencing a LOT of vinyl.  How does one know if it's a newer pressing or off the original master tapes?  I can't find this information easily for LP's.  I don't have a turntable (yet) and have been looking about and wondering if catalog numbers are searchable to find out if they're from the original master recording or not.  Am I right in assuming some later pressings might be from the CD and not of high quality?  And finally: if it's CD, is it the "Gold" or "Mobile Fidelity" etc or what release?  Isn't that information critically important in this discussion?

EDIT: I have nowhere locally to buy LP's unless a record/CD fair comes through so I'm pretty much stuck to the internet.
    You're at the mercy of the vinyl or CD marketers as to the nature of the source material for a particular pressing or issue.  I have one or two very crummy LPs that seem to have been just duped off an equally crummy CD.  "Re-mastered" is another double-edged sword, as in some cases the original mix was better. I've never owned a bad Mobile Fidelity recording, whether CD or vinyl; those guys have been around a long time, at least since Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus, and seem to know what they're doing. A good website for both vinyl and optical media is Elusive Disc; between them and Mo-Fi you can find about anything. Recordsbymail.com is another great source.
    If you're buying old vinyl look for first-pressings. That's when the master press was least worn. Those mostly went to radio stations and music critics and are marked "Not for Sale" and often look like cut-outs.
    Living out in the sticks needn't limit your access to vinyl. Garage and moving sales, thrift stores, etc., can turn up some real beauties. I bought a stack of near-virgin Brubeck early Columbia releases and got change back from a fiver. Still looking for that box of Sheffield Labs releases for under a buck, but it will happen . . . probably in the same yard that's got the '56 Vette under a tarp for sale for $50.
    Laminarman

What are your favorite "test" CD's or LP's ? - Page 3 Empty Re: What are your favorite "test" CD's or LP's ?

Post by Laminarman Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:31 am

Dee..thank you for the feedback and advice. My son and I were in Audio Classics and they have a small, worn selection of LP's. He's 12, and he said, "Dad! Look at these cool musician posters." I pulled one out and he asked what it was and I suddenly felt a bit older.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:01 pm

Lucky me ... I have a premier record store a pleasant drive away ...

What are your favorite "test" CD's or LP's ? - Page 3 336747_513776798648877_57303207_o

Bopped down yesterday in fact and came back with a couple earlier releases by Bonnie Raitt and Leo Kottke. Corner Records also share a roof with Wayback Audio - they sell premier equipment, and there's usually a few fanatics hanging around for chit chat. While they were trying to sell me Rogue and Jolida, I was telling them all about Latino ... cheers 

And ya ... remasters are a bit of a crap shoot. The good ones do clean up the recordings quite a bit and yet maintain the integrity of the piece ... the bad ones clean them up too much and get sterile. Eliminating all the tape and transcription noise can also remove important dynamics and it just doesn't sound the same ... a very fine line. Determining that line and not crossing is where the magic can happen.

Good example > the King Crimson anniversary editions
    Bad example > pretty much any of the Peter Gabriel re-issues

I'd also add The Beatles "super disks" to the bad example list - very clean, but they lose a lot of the grit of the early releases.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:20 pm

This got me to remembering, about two years ago, the Fred Meyer store in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho mistakenly ordered vinyl instead of their usual CDs for a big pre-Christmas re-stock. The vinyl arrived and they had no bins for it, and for some reason the store couldn't return 'em, so they put 'em out for a song (pardon the pun) just to get rid of 'em; there were bargains galore! Naturally, I heard about that one after the fact.
    Laminarman

Post by Laminarman Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:12 pm

Van Morrison, Born to Sing: No Plan B. The track "Going down to Monte Carlo."
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:28 pm

I had forgotten this all-time classic: "Music for Non-Thinkers," by the Guckenheimer Saurkraut Band, recorded in the Crystal Room at Gumps Department Store in San Francisco in the mid-1950s.
    Laminarman

Post by Laminarman Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:04 pm

deepee99 wrote:I had forgotten this all-time classic: "Music for Non-Thinkers," by the Guckenheimer Saurkraut Band, recorded in the Crystal Room at Gumps Department Store in San Francisco in the mid-1950s.

confused  That sounds utterly un-enjoyable Smile
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Laminarman wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:I had forgotten this all-time classic: "Music for Non-Thinkers," by the Guckenheimer Saurkraut Band, recorded in the Crystal Room at Gumps Department Store in San Francisco in the mid-1950s.

confused   That sounds utterly un-enjoyable Smile

Ahhh, much to learn, Grasshopper, much to learn . . . Smile
    Laminarman

Post by Laminarman Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:52 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    Laminarman wrote:

I used to love that show!!!!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:55 pm

Laminarman wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:
    Laminarman wrote:

I used to love that show!!!!  

We're showing our age, methinks.
    Donkeyshins
    Donkeyshins

Post by Donkeyshins Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:29 am

I've found that Daft Punk's Random Access Memories is an excellent way to test your system (vinyl or CD - both are excellently mastered). Whatever I'm listening to has to be musically engaging, so I'd rather go with 'Double Nickels On the Dime' (which was very obviously recorded on a budget) than some audiophile gem with a performance that bores me to tears.

-D
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:50 am

My VTA St 70, VTA preamp and tubes are all still breaking in. I use side three of Electric Ladyland to hear the improving sound. Loud.
    Laminarman

Post by Laminarman Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:45 pm

Donkeyshins wrote:I've found that Daft Punk's Random Access Memories is an excellent way to test your system (vinyl or CD - both are excellently mastered).  Whatever I'm listening to has to be musically engaging, so I'd rather go with 'Double Nickels On the Dime' (which was very obviously recorded on a budget) than some audiophile gem with a performance that bores me to tears.

-D

I hear you. I bought some highly regarded Miles Davis and John Coltrain. God, I wanted to suck on a gas pipe it was boring. It's all personal taste and we have to enjoy our music.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:41 pm