The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

DAC for a CD player

Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

DAC for a CD player Empty DAC for a CD player

Post by Dave_in_Va Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:09 pm

I have a VTA ST 70 and the VTA SP/PH10 pre-amp. I mainly use this for vinyl but I do have a load of CDs. My CD player is a plain vanilla Onkyo C 7030. Would I gain much in sound quality by going into a DAC (bypassing the internal DAC) and then into my SP 10?

The two DACs I've been looking at are the Cambridge DacMagic 100 ($100 off at A. A.) or the Music Fidelity V90-DAC. These are at the outer limits of my budget ($299).

Worth it?

Associated question....Is there any advantage to coaxial out over optical (toslink) out on the CD player?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dave
    daveshel
    daveshel

DAC for a CD player Empty Re: DAC for a CD player

Post by daveshel Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Dave_in_Va wrote:

The two DACs I've been looking at are the Cambridge DacMagic 100 ($100 off at A. A.) or the Music Fidelity V90-DAC. These are at the outer limits of my budget ($299).

Dave

I'm thinking of giving the V90-DAC a try but now that you mention it the Cambridge looks interesting as well. I wonder under what circumstances you would use the ground lift.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:35 pm

Ground lift?

Sounds like something you'd normally run into with pro equipment using XLR or unbalanced connections. Some setups need the second ground (pin#3?) "lifted" or open to work properly. Mostly hummmmmm issues ...

In that case, there's either a switch to open that connection, or you need to get an adapter or just desolder the connector in the cable itself.

Or not ... ground lift?
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:30 pm

In case anyone is curious, I ended up using the coax-digital out of my Onkyo CD player into the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II, out of the DAC into the acc. in of the SP-10. There was a major improvement. Now I can really enjoy my CDs as well as my LPs.

I also ran a 15' toslink out of my TV into the V-DAC and the audio from my Roku and DVD players is really improved also.

Lot's of improvement today for about $25 in cables.
    frank
    frank

Post by frank Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:47 pm

OK, I came late to this party. I would have answered: it depends. It depends on the quality of the DAC in your CD player. Looks like you got it worked out. Good job!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:49 pm