The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Genalex-KT88-Gold-Lion-Power-Tubes

avi.inc

Genalex-KT88-Gold-Lion-Power-Tubes Empty Genalex-KT88-Gold-Lion-Power-Tubes

Post by avi.inc Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:21 am

Has anyone ever seen this you can order the tubes as soft,medium or hard WTF is that?
    The price is right but what are they taking about?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Genalex-KT88-Gold-Lion-Power-Tubes-210083-i1372887.gc?source=4WWRWXGB

o.k. never mind

Last edited by avi.inc on Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Don't post and drink wine!)
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Genalex-KT88-Gold-Lion-Power-Tubes Empty Re: Genalex-KT88-Gold-Lion-Power-Tubes

Post by Bob Latino Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:03 am

avi.inc wrote:Has anyone ever seen this you can order the tubes as soft,medium or hard WTF is that?
    The price is right but what are they taking about?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Genalex-KT88-Gold-Lion-Power-Tubes-210083-i1372887.gc?source=4WWRWXGB

o.k. never mind

Hi,

I have seen this before on "guitar store" web sites. I am not into guitar amps but I believe the "soft, medium or hard" has something to do with how the tubes react when driven to the point at which they will distort (clipping) in a guitar amp. I do not believe that this "characteristic" is relevent when the tube is used as an audio amplifier in a hi-fi situation. Possibly someone who is into tube guitar amplifiers could weigh in here and give a better explanation.

Bob
    4MarkNY
    4MarkNY

Post by 4MarkNY Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:40 pm

Bob is correct. Guitar center is rating for the ability to breakup early, which is something that a guitar player would want for that "bluesbreaker" sound (soft set). For audio applications you don't want them to clip at all so, you'd want the "hard" set.
    avi.inc

Genalex-KT88-Gold-Lion-Power-Tubes Empty Did i get this wrong?

Post by avi.inc Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:17 pm

I ordered The soft tube set after getting this from there site.

Soft, medium, and hard style descriptions refer to break up modes of the tube for an overdriven guitar signal. Soft-rated tubes break up slow and have the highest amount of headroom, while hard-rated tubes break up easier and have the least headroom, yielding a heavier, harder distortion. Medium-rated tubes fall in between.

4MarkNY
    4MarkNY

Post by 4MarkNY Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:24 pm

See ? that's why at my age you reference everything, and remember nothing.....you've ordered correctly....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:15 am