The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

STUDY HOUR, SESSION ONE; L-R, L+R

Dale Stevens

STUDY HOUR,  SESSION ONE;   L-R, L+R Empty STUDY HOUR, SESSION ONE; L-R, L+R

Post by Dale Stevens Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Would someone give us a good explanation of L-R, L+R? (center speaker) Dale
    audiobill

STUDY HOUR,  SESSION ONE;   L-R, L+R Empty Re: STUDY HOUR, SESSION ONE; L-R, L+R

Post by audiobill Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:41 pm

L+R produces a mono signal.

L-R produces a signal that is devoid of all common information, leaving stereo artifacts but in one output.

This is my guess!
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

STUDY HOUR,  SESSION ONE;   L-R, L+R Empty Re: STUDY HOUR, SESSION ONE; L-R, L+R

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:45 pm

that's exactly correct
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:18 pm

L+R is commonly used for to simulate a center channel.
    L-R gives more of a surround effect, and is used more for ambiance.

Here's the back panel of my Carver C9AV fer instance ...

STUDY HOUR,  SESSION ONE;   L-R, L+R Back-panel

Fancier implementations will then tweak the output of each new "channel" ... fer instance, boosting the vocal mids on the center to put the artist more forward and center stage, or add echo or delay to the rears for more of a reflection type effect.

The Dynaco Quadraptors added another dynamic by playing with phase ... lots of stuff you can do with plain jane stereo ... Don't get me started on post processing ... I'm an addict!

PS ... Dynaco actually had a factory mod for that ...

https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t1806-dynaco-center-channel

Don't know as I've heard of anyone really trying it. Bonus points if you do, and report back on the results ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:13 am