The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

5 Amp Slow Blow Fuse popping!

Jhoman
    Jhoman

5 Amp Slow Blow Fuse popping! Empty 5 Amp Slow Blow Fuse popping!

Post by Jhoman Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:57 am

My ST120 blew the 5 amp fuse yesterday as I was letting it warm up. I came back in the room and all the tubes were out. I pulled the fuse and it was blown. After a quick trip to the Shack, I placed another in the holder and turned on the amp. Tubes powered up for about 15 seconds then pop.

I checked all the tubes and they looked OK. I placed another fuse in the holder and tried it again. Same thing, but I was watching the rectifier. I saw arcing in the rectifier.

Pulled the rectifier and replaced it with a Webber Copper Cap SS rectifier. Replaced the fuse, turned it on, everything powered up and played fine. I let it warm up a bit and re-biased. All is OK now.

I called Bob to ask him about it and he said that is somewhat typical of a bad rectifier. Bob pointed me to Ruby 5AR4 rectifier, so I have ordered a couple of those.

Bob, I just wanted to thank you for being there for us! I really appreciate the fact that I have you to help me with this amp that I have fallen in love with, it was made for my Klipsch Cornwall's!
    kevco
    kevco

5 Amp Slow Blow Fuse popping! Empty Re: 5 Amp Slow Blow Fuse popping!

Post by kevco Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:06 am

Hi- Were you still using the 5U4GA that you mentioned in other posts as your rectifier before it started to arc? If so, I would suggest returning to 5AR4 as a permanent rectifier choice. Although the Dynaco manual allows the use of 5U4 type tubes as backups, they employ a direct heated cathode design rather than the indirect cathode sleeve design of the 5AR4. In higher voltage amplifiers designed to use 5U4 tubes, they are generally employed in pairs, cutting the voltage to the heater and allowing longer life. Although I am not an expert, the evidence suggests that long term use of a 5U4 in this amplifier is not the best choice.
    Jhoman
    Jhoman

Post by Jhoman Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:19 am

kevco wrote:Hi- Were you still using the 5U4GA that you mentioned in other posts as your rectifier before it started to arc? If so, I would suggest returning to 5AR4 as a permanent rectifier choice. Although the Dynaco manual allows the use of 5U4 type tubes as backups, they employ a direct heated cathode design rather than the indirect cathode sleeve design of the 5AR4. In higher voltage amplifiers designed to use 5U4 tubes, they are generally employed in pairs, cutting the voltage to the heater and allowing longer life. Although I am not an expert, the evidence suggests that long term use of a 5U4 in this amplifier is not the best choice.

No it was the 5AR4 that arced, the 5U4GA sounds great. I have ordered a Ruby 5AR4 to replace it.
    Bugs

Post by Bugs Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:03 am

Jhoman wrote:
    kevco wrote:Hi- Were you still using the 5U4GA that you mentioned in other posts as your rectifier before it started to arc? If so, I would suggest returning to 5AR4 as a permanent rectifier choice. Although the Dynaco manual allows the use of 5U4 type tubes as backups, they employ a direct heated cathode design rather than the indirect cathode sleeve design of the 5AR4. In higher voltage amplifiers designed to use 5U4 tubes, they are generally employed in pairs, cutting the voltage to the heater and allowing longer life. Although I am not an expert, the evidence suggests that long term use of a 5U4 in this amplifier is not the best choice.

No it was the 5AR4 that arced, the 5U4GA sounds great. I have ordered a Ruby 5AR4 to replace it.

I went through a spate of rectifiers tubes before I learned that they do not like to be turned off and on quickly Rolling Eyes . Once they go bad the arcing seems to be the primary symptom.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:42 am

"I went through a spate of rectifiers tubes before I learned that they do not like to be turned off and on quickly Rolling Eyes . Once they go bad the arcing seems to be the primary symptom."

Bugs,

Dynaco tube amps do not have any sophisticated "delay ON" circuits. If you turn the amp OFF and then ON quickly (within a few seconds) you can cause a power surge that can take out the rectifier tube. A delay ON circuit could be added but it would also add to the cost of the amp. My advice is > If the amp has been ON for while and you turn it OFF for any reason leave it OFF for about 30 seconds to a minute - then turn it ON again.

Also keep in mind that the rectifier tubes made today are not as "robust" as the USA and UK made rectifier tubes of the 1950's and 1960's. In short, the newer tubes can't take much abuse without failing. Sad

Bob
    Bugs

Post by Bugs Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:22 am

Hi Bob, thanks for the info, the eye-rolling in my comment had more to do with the fact that sometimes I have to learn things through the School of Hard Knocks rather than eye-rolling aimed at the design of the system.
    Jhoman
    Jhoman

Post by Jhoman Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:46 pm

Got the Ruby in, sounds great, a bit tighter than the 5U4GA, had to crank down the bias, but over all its great!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:08 am