The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+25
Wotan
Dogstar
Peter W.
peterh
Roy
mazeeff
10-E-C
tajanes
Maintarget
rfbro
davek65
zx
arledgsc
skriefal
bluemeanies
Jim McShane
corndog71
deepee99
Bob Latino
Frank111
baddog1946
Kentley
sKiZo
Gregg R.
nmchiefsfan
29 posters

Weber WZ68 now NOT recommended on Weber website!

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Weber ws - Weber WZ68 now NOT recommended on Weber website! - Page 3 Empty Re: Weber WZ68 now NOT recommended on Weber website!

Post by Bob Latino Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:18 pm

deepee99 wrote:Bob, maybe I misstated my question. Could I put a Mullard tube and a Weber side-by-each on the same amp?

Hi David,

I don't know if that would work out well ? Each rectifier has different characteristics that may or may not work well together ? Personally, I don't thing that using two somewhat dissimilar rectifiers in the same amp is a good idea ..

Bob
    deepee99
    deepee99

Weber ws - Weber WZ68 now NOT recommended on Weber website! - Page 3 Empty Re: Weber WZ68 now NOT recommended on Weber website!

Post by deepee99 Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:41 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:Bob, maybe I misstated my question. Could I put a Mullard tube and a Weber side-by-each on the same amp?

Hi David,

I don't know if that would work out well ? Each rectifier has different characteristics that may or may not work well together ? Personally, I don't thing that using two somewhat dissimilar rectifiers in the same amp is a good idea ..

Bob

Bob, I would concur. Let's see if sKiZo has some drama on this matter.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:33 pm

An update from the Wilds of Worcester: I received a replacement Weber WZ68 at no cost from the manufacturer recently. It has been operating perfectly for three days of moderate use. I did make one change to my rig - I placed a small "whisperfan" six inches from the front left corner of my ST-120 facing diagonally so that the rectifier area could receive maximum cooling. It seems to be just what the doctor ordered.
    So - heat is apparently the gremlin here.
    I believe this approach is a sound one for the power trannie and output tube heat goblins as well, not that these have been a problem.
    A heckuva lot easier than the arcane mods suggested by some. Those are great ideas for someone with the toolage and patience to perform them. That ain't me.
    tajanes
    tajanes

Weber ws - Weber WZ68 now NOT recommended on Weber website! - Page 3 Empty Weber WS1 for hi-fi vs WZ34

Post by tajanes Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:41 pm

note: I have a WZ34 in my st-120, no pbs yet,
    interesting however the Weber web page now suggests using their WS1 for hi-fi use
    http://www.tedweber.com/ws1

pedrocols
    pedrocols

Post by pedrocols Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:37 pm

So who is going to be the guinea pig?
    skriefal
    skriefal

Post by skriefal Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:55 pm

I have a WS1 here if anyone would like to try it. Was going to use it with my ST-120 but never got around to doing much with it. Of course it does lack the WZ68's current limiting resistors...
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:01 pm

Don't do it. Don't do it. Don't do it.
    UNLESS you've got one of Dr. Latino's slow-start boards. Otherwise, the minute you hit the power switch, all the volts in the world will slam into your stuff. The WS1 is a fine piece of gear, but it and the downstream parts need to date a bit before jumping into the sack together. Learned that in old Collins S-line days when we were all jumping into this new solid-state stuff, and losing those big rectifier tubes was a smart thing to do and saved $50 a month on the light bill. Output tubes need a little seduction before lighting their cigarettes.
    10-E-C
    10-E-C

Post by 10-E-C Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:34 pm

I built my M-125s the last of Dec 2014 with the WZ68 as the rectifier. Even tho I never had any problems with them I replaced them with Mullards GZ37s which I had talked out of from a friend of mine (plus a few bucks). When removing the WZ68s the outer casing started to separate from the base. Looks like the bonding agent was weaken by the heat. Since I have the case off of the WZ68s I'll make vent holes and keep them as backups.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:40 pm

Yeah, they're not as tightly put together because there's need required for a vacuum. You can pull apart a KT-88 almost as easily, but larger issues come into play. It's fun to watch somebody else's house burn down . . .
    Regarding all things tubes, just keep a fire extinguisher handy. As my source and friend for all tubes NOS is kind enough to remind me, "Don't ever turn your back on the sumbitches."
    tajanes
    tajanes

Weber ws - Weber WZ68 now NOT recommended on Weber website! - Page 3 Empty venting a Weber WZ34

Post by tajanes Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:53 pm

So, sounds like putting a slot or two at the bottom and top to provide ventilation is a no brainer, but how do you dismantle the Weber Copper Caps without destroying the unit? Are there small tabs / screws along the outside bottom edge (beneath the blue Weber label) or do you just 'work' the bottom off from the copper cap?

thanks
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:40 pm

tajanes wrote:So, sounds like putting a slot or two at the bottom and top to provide ventilation is a no brainer,  but how do you dismantle the Weber Copper Caps without destroying the unit?  Are there small tabs / screws along the outside bottom edge (beneath the blue Weber label) or do you just 'work' the bottom off from the copper cap?

thanks

Tmadden on this board is the expert on rehabbing your Webers. I think it's a straight pull but ask Troy first.
    Again, you're not preserving a vacuum but I think some hard twisting might dislodge the pins from the guts.
    A little venting (pardon the pun) seems to do the trick for these guys. They work splendidly with some air running through them, at least as long as high-dollar tubes.
    Again, I would consult tmadden for definitive advice. Doggone good pre-amp builder, too.
    skriefal
    skriefal

Post by skriefal Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:50 pm

I was told that it's quite difficult to remove the copper "cap" from the base on newer WZ68s. Something about the type of glue that Weber is using now.
    mazeeff

Post by mazeeff Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:08 pm

tajanes wrote:note: I have a WZ34 in my st-120, no pbs yet,
    interesting however the Weber web page now suggests using their WS1 for hi-fi use

I went ahead and ordered a Weber WS1, and put it in my newly acquired Dynakit/VTA ST-70. It works great, and really tightened up the bass. It also runs very cool, at 109f, due to the lack of sag resisters. I had already been running a double diode full wave rectification on my 1967 ST-70, with no ill effects for many years, via a SDS Labs Cap Board. The WS1 boosted my B+ considerably, but I was able to rebias without issue. I know that a lot of people are concerned with running SS rectification without sag or delay. For me, it seems to work fine!

Mike
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:18 pm

Worth repeating, you can get a bit of delay by installing a CL90 thermistor on the AC line.

Weber ws - Weber WZ68 now NOT recommended on Weber website! - Page 3 Cl90-002

(I've since moved the blue wire UNDER the thermistor. Heat rises, and they get HOT. I also got fancy with the three tab ... not really necessary, but does keep things tidy.)

That gives you a soft start. Trade off is, they never open up completely, so you DO lose a bit of B+, but that doesn't sound like it'd be an issue with the WS1, and it can be real handy if you're wall supply runs high like many do.

I've used a bucker to drop the line level to around 117vac AND had the thermistor in place and still made it into the recommended B+ range ... granted, the low side, but close enough for a(n ex) government worker ...  without the bucker, I dead center.

PS ... why a CL90? Larger surface area and better heat dissipation. A CL80 has a higher current rating, but I've never ever had a problem with the CL90, even with ham gear.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:25 pm

mazeeff wrote:
    tajanes wrote:note: I have a WZ34 in my st-120, no pbs yet,

I went ahead and ordered a Weber WS1, and put it in my newly acquired Dynakit/VTA ST-70. It works great, and really tightened up the bass. It also runs very cool, at 109f, due to the lack of sag resisters. I had already been running a double diode full wave rectification on my 1967 ST-70, with no ill effects for many years, via a SDS Labs Cap Board. The WS1 boosted my B+ considerably, but I was able to rebias without issue. I know that a lot of people are concerned with running SS rectification without sag or delay. For me, it seems to work fine!

Mike

the concern about running a SS rectifier without some time delay for B+ in a tube amp is quite valid. It may not show any immediate signs, in fact, it may well be fine for a long time, but hitting tubes, especially cold tubes, with a hefty B+ is known to 'wear' tube down and a real possibility of shortening their life span.
    As well, in an amp thats been running for a while and you get one of those 'short' power failures, this can really cause havoc when hitting the power tubes with all the amp has got once power comes back up in a few seconds. If you do not have one of those manual reset GFCI's and no time delay for the B+, it can cause some expensive damage. At least, with a delayed B+ through a start up timer, this will lessen the chance of causing damage once power comes back up a few seconds after you lost it.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:48 pm

Well, I'm glad that someone had the courage to try the Weber WS1. Now I can go ahead and order one as a back-up to my cherished Mullard GZ37. Thanks, all. BTW I am running the VTA ST-120 WITH delay installed so I should have no problems.
    mazeeff

Post by mazeeff Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:59 am

Good points. I do use a manual reset GFCI for all my HiFi gear. Back in the late 60's, I was lucky enough to own a Marshall JTM100 Super Lead amp. These amps were SS rectification, and I do not recall any B+ (560V) delay circuit, other than the normal Standby function. That Marshall was played everywhere, and took quite a beating. In all the years that I played that amp, I don't ever recall replacing the power tubes. That amp saw more power outages and glitches than my Dynaco would ever see. My 67 Dynaco with SS, has been running fine for many years, other than a little 60 cycle hum the power transformer. I may get a little less tube life, but I don't seem to notice it!

Mike
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:31 pm

Tube Despot sells what appears to be the same thing as the WS-1, here https://tubedepot.com/products/solid-state-rectifier
    utilizing just a pair of 1N5408 diodes, for $9.95. It does not have an in-rush current limiter, however; I'd be loathe to use it without Bob's time-delay relays.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:21 pm

mazeeff wrote:Good points. I do use a manual reset GFCI for all my HiFi gear. Back in the late 60's, I was lucky enough to own a Marshall JTM100 Super Lead amp. These amps were SS rectification, and I do not recall any B+ (560V) delay circuit, other than the normal Standby function. That Marshall was played everywhere, and took quite a beating. In all the years that I played that amp, I don't ever recall replacing the power tubes. That amp saw more power outages and glitches than my Dynaco would ever see. My 67 Dynaco with SS, has been running fine for many years, other than a little 60 cycle hum the power transformer. I may get a little less tube life, but I don't seem to notice it!

Mike

don't forget, new tubes these days are really not like the old ones, they are just not built the same way anymore. There are some exceptions perhaps, those so called boutique tubes, but their prices are just ridiculous!
    So, for the small price of a time delay pcb and an hour or so to build and install it, it is well worth while!!
    pedrocols
    pedrocols

Post by pedrocols Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:36 pm

Has anybody tried these delay boards on the m-125?
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:41 pm

pedrocols wrote:Has anybody tried these delay boards on the m-125?

I have 'em on mine. Highly recommended, even if you're using tube rectifiers. Gives the filaments 15-20 seconds warm-up before the B+ comes crashing in.
    pedrocols
    pedrocols

Post by pedrocols Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:46 pm

pedrocols wrote:Has anybody tried these delay boards on the m-125?
    Ok thanks! I have been running the weber wz68 for close to a year now and have no problems. I do not listen loud or push these amps. However, my speakers are magnepans so I am sure even at low volumes it can be demanding on the amps.
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:05 am

I bought and installed the Tube Depot SS rectifier to replace the WZ68 in my ST120.  The time delay relay board is already set for 40 sec. delay so the tubes are plenty warm before HV kicks in.   I have no idea how much the B+ increased as a result but nothing has blown yet.  I had to really adjust bias down after installation though.  No diode rectifier hash noise.  And less heat coming off the amplifier which is a bonus.  I like better efficiency.

I do have a minor concern using single 1N5408 rectifiers in the ST120 that have 1KV peak inverse voltage max rating. (See SS rectifier datasheet below for reference) This may be over spec in the ST120 but have always used an additional single 1N5408 on the output of the rectifier stage so have effectively two diodes in series at all times.
    Tube Depot SS Rectifier Datasheet

If B+ has increased closer to 550V I will wire up my unused ST120 rectifier heater winding as a bucker with the incoming line voltage to effectively reduce the AC coming in about 5V.  This should reflect to 15-20V less HV AC at the rectifier input.  

But it sounds very good if it holds up!!  Stable imaging with better bass control. Bob's hair is probably on fire so proceed with caution and YMMV.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:55 pm

arledgsc wrote:
    If B+ has increased closer to 550V I will wire up my unused ST120 rectifier heater winding as a bucker with the incoming line voltage to effectively reduce the AC coming in about 5V.  This should reflect to 15-20V less HV AC at the rectifier input.  

Hadn't thought of that ... I made an external bucker instead, using a transformer that's good for 6a. Will that spare winding handle the current?

Wonder if you could wire up that extra heater winding for hot switching? Turn it on when needed, or not. I know my line voltage was at 124+vac when I first got going here due to a recent upgrade in the grid for a new housing development down the road. Power company has since got things back to normal, and the bucker is out of the loop ... for now anyway.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:24 pm

Today I switched out rectification in my VTA ST-120. I replaced my trusty Mullard GZ-37 with the Weber WS1. The sound is comparable. One caveat -- lower your bias adjustments to minimum before you switch to the WS1. What used to be spot-on .54 VDC with the tube when the pots were at 2 o'clock became dramatically different with the Weber and now .54 VDC is achieved with the pots at 10 o'clock. Caveat rector!
    I've run it at moderate volume for an hour now and the temp. on the copper-cap reads at 156F. Way cooler than the WZ-68 which I melted down several months ago!
    DON'T TRY THE WS1 if you don't have the time-delay relay installed -- unless you wish to be blowing output tubes left and right. Bad pun intended. It blasts B+ voltage instantaneously -- no delay whatsoever.
    The WS1 is less than $20 from Weber Speaker Co. That is a good thing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 11:50 pm