The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

VTA 70 in System - Perfect matching components.

Pat R.
    Pat R.

VTA 70 in System - Perfect matching components. Empty VTA 70 in System - Perfect matching components.

Post by Pat R. Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:13 pm

It's a Sunday afternoon and I just finished a listening session so thought I'd kill a little time here with this..

Seems to me that over the years us "Hi Fi" enthusiasts are always looking and listening for that next component to put in the system to see if it sounds any better.. We mix this preamp with that power amp, try those speakers.. then we hear our buddy's system and like his speakers better.. on and on. This is the stuff that brings us here.

Every once in a great while if we are lucky we hit that magic combination that works for us.

During the last winter I built a VTA 70 kit and had a great time doing it. I also restored an HK Citation I preamp I bought. After it was all done I hooked up a set of bookshelf speakers I had.. It all sounded pretty good, but I knew I needed to get some vintage Alnico magnet speakers. Well as luck would have it I found a minty pair of 12TRXb speakers on Ebay AND an equally nice matched pair of kit built EV Aristocrat type speakers.
    VTA 70 in System - Perfect matching components. Ed3b0dbc313a1f89d238dcab5c8ec624

This is the system in my shop area in basement.

After hooking it all up and running it through it's paces I think I have stumbled onto a perfect matching of components.

The Citation I is a legendary preamp in it's own right, The VTA 70 is  a world class tube amp and the EV Aristocrats with 12 TRXb speakers top it all off.

The phono section of the preamp is outstanding. I am also feeding a DVD/CD player into it for CD playing. The system has plenty of punch with a nice chest felt bass. The stereo imaging is wonderful. The triax speakers with the VTA pushing them really presents a wonderful soundstage. This amp does not cease to amaze me. PWK really worked some magic when designing those Aristocrats. It all just goes so well together.

I keep looking for different things to listen to. At this time no matter what recording I have played, I cannot find fault. The system is just a pleasure to enjoy.

As soon as the addition we are building to the house is done this system will be moving on up into a place in the home.

Last edited by Pat R. on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:04 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Better picture)
    Maintarget
    Maintarget

VTA 70 in System - Perfect matching components. Empty Re: VTA 70 in System - Perfect matching components.

Post by Maintarget Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:20 pm

Pat what are you using for a tuner?
    Looks interesting, you reference to PWK meaning Paul Klipsch?
    Great system
    Pat R.
    Pat R.

VTA 70 in System - Perfect matching components. Empty Re: VTA 70 in System - Perfect matching components.

Post by Pat R. Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:59 pm

For now this system does not have a tuner. On my main system I am using a Mcinstosh MR 65B, this has proven to be a very nice tuner. However I feel that most of the FM programming is sorely lacking in the fidelity department. Only time I use a tuner is if I'm doing something and want background music, but for serious listening I find that if I'm not spinning vinyl I'm turning to Digital content.

PWK yes Paul Klipsch. ( I picked that up from someone else somewhere ).

I'll be using that Fisher Receiver on the cart with one of those heavily modified Heathkits down below and a nice EV Aristocrat 3 way speaker for a Mono shop system.

Any suggestions on a nice tuner for the Harmon Kardon, VTA, EV system?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:26 pm