The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

EL34 Failure

Tubes4ever
    Tubes4ever

EL34 Failure Empty EL34 Failure

Post by Tubes4ever Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:04 pm

I have a quad set of Russian Mullard Reissue EL34s in my ST70.  I've had them since July. About 40 hours a week usage.

This morning when I turned the amp on, the left channel immediately started to pop and scratch. The left front tube began red plating rather brightly.  I turned off the amp and moved the red plating tube to another socket.  I turned the amp back on and the same tube began to red plate again.  Obviously a bad tube.  This tube was running fine the day before.  Seems like the last thermal cycle caused the grid to short to the cathode.

Fortunately I have a spare EL34 that is running fine now.

I know we all have tube failures, but I just wanted to note how we shouldn't just turn on the cold amp and walk off.  If I hadn't been there to see the failure on startup, I may have damaged the output transformer or other components.

Tim
    10-E-C
    10-E-C

EL34 Failure Empty Re: EL34 Failure

Post by 10-E-C Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:53 pm

Tubes4ever wrote:I have a quad set of Russian Mullard Reissue EL34s in my ST70.  I've had them since July. About 40 hours a week usage.

This morning when I turned the amp on, the left channel immediately started to pop and scratch. The left front tube began red plating rather brightly.  I turned off the amp and moved the red plating tube to another socket.  I turned the amp back on and the same tube began to red plate again.  Obviously a bad tube.  This tube was running fine the day before.  Seems like the last thermal cycle caused the grid to short to the cathode.

Fortunately I have a spare EL34 that is running fine now.

I know we all have tube failures, but I just wanted to note how we shouldn't just turn on the cold amp and walk off.  If I hadn't been there to see the failure on startup, I may have damaged the output transformer or other components.

Tim

I read a quote on this forum once " Never turn your back to those bastards! Good advice as you can testify.

TM

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:17 am