The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products


    Our demographics and geographics

    Share

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Our demographics and geographics

    Post by deepee99 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:42 pm

    This is for Bob and Roy, the Forum Gods.
    Without divulging proprietary information, have you ever done a demographic/geographic study of the Forum? Seems most are scattered close to the 49th parallel and perhaps concentrated Out East.
    Reason this comes up is that I've had some inquiries about arranging another TubeFest. Holger's gracious concept last year was a bit out of reach for a lot of us.
    If we could find a geographic centre perhaps a few of us could cash in our frequent flyer miles and get there. Maybe near Andy Bowman's tube factory in Indiana, or somewhere in Russia.



    Dale Stevens

    Posts : 76
    Join date : 2014-07-06
    Age : 67
    Location : Loris, SC

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by Dale Stevens on Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:19 pm

    I'm in if it's close here to the Carolinas.

    60 degrees here near Myrtle Beach (SC).... Dale

    daveshel

    Posts : 148
    Join date : 2011-11-06
    Location : Tucson AZ USA

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by daveshel on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:03 pm

    I'm desperately looking for work. I'm so poor I haven't left Arizona in over a year.

    MontanaWay

    Posts : 767
    Join date : 2014-02-06
    Age : 58
    Location : Cameron, Montana

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by MontanaWay on Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:27 pm

    I'll be in it as long as I can reasonably drive there...and back...more fun going on a road trip....

    GP49

    Posts : 717
    Join date : 2009-04-30
    Location : East of the sun and west of the moon

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by GP49 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:54 pm

    daveshel wrote:I'm desperately looking for work. I'm so poor I haven't left Arizona in over a year.

    With the weather in the rest of the country right now, do you want to???? tongue

    daveshel

    Posts : 148
    Join date : 2011-11-06
    Location : Tucson AZ USA

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by daveshel on Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:56 pm

    GP49 wrote:
    daveshel wrote:I'm desperately looking for work. I'm so poor I haven't left Arizona in over a year.

    With the weather in the rest of the country right now, do you want to????  tongue

    So maybe I should offer to host the Fest in Tucson?

    DynakitParts
    Admin

    Posts : 181
    Join date : 2008-11-30

    Where not to host a fest

    Post by DynakitParts on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:14 pm

    Hi all,
            Here is my short list of where not to host an event:

    Baltimore, MD or the surrounding suburbs

    Detroit, MI

    Newark, NJ

    Kevin @ Dynakit

    MontanaWay

    Posts : 767
    Join date : 2014-02-06
    Age : 58
    Location : Cameron, Montana

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by MontanaWay on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:39 pm

    DynakitParts wrote:Hi all,
            Here is my short list of where not to host an event:

    Baltimore, MD or the surrounding suburbs

    Detroit, MI

    Newark, NJ

    Kevin @ Dynakit

    I vote for Belize or Hawaii.....hang on...I can't drive there....damn!! What a Face

    peterh

    Posts : 641
    Join date : 2012-12-25
    Location : gothenburg, sweden

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by peterh on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:45 am

    MontanaWay wrote:
    DynakitParts wrote:Hi all,
            Here is my short list of where not to host an event:

    Baltimore, MD or the surrounding suburbs

    Detroit, MI

    Newark, NJ

    Kevin @ Dynakit

    I vote for Belize or Hawaii.....hang on...I can't drive there....damn!! :face:
    I vote for sweden, we have very ( extremly) low levels of 60hz hum here.

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by deepee99 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:48 am

    peterh wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:
    DynakitParts wrote:Hi all,
            Here is my short list of where not to host an event:

    Baltimore, MD or the surrounding suburbs

    Detroit, MI

    Newark, NJ

    Kevin @ Dynakit

    I vote for Belize or Hawaii.....hang on...I can't drive there....damn!! What a Face
    I vote for sweden, we have very ( extremly) low levels of 60hz hum here.
    Sweden is lovely, but we'd all have to wind an extra 220v tap on our transformers. Lapland is pleasant for a week or two around the summer solstice as well but again, there's that voltage issue.
    Belize is a great suggestion, as could be the Old City in Panama, as both countries run on 110 volts and use Yanquis dollars as currency. Tucson would be great in winter but no way you're dragging me to AZ in summer.
    I vote for invading Don Sachs' place in Nelson, B.C., which sits aside a grand lake and has temperate weather, or perhaps Bath, Maine, 'cuz I've never been there. Or Mystic Seaport in Connecticut during the wooden boat festival. Also have a friend in Newfoundland who could put us up. Tube Nube could fly us all there in his Maule now that the tailwheel is fixed.
    SERIOUSLY, it would be interesting to know the geographic epicentre of the Dynaco gang, and neither Bob nor Roy has weighed in on this. As to demographics, my educated guess is: north of 50 YO, males with tolerant wives.


    daveshel

    Posts : 148
    Join date : 2011-11-06
    Location : Tucson AZ USA

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by daveshel on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:28 pm

    I'm 59, shed the wife years ago.

    Tucson in March would be great. Someone could pick up a sweet pair of Dynaco A50s while they were at it. Too arcane for CL.

    eickmewg

    Posts : 38
    Join date : 2014-08-29

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by eickmewg on Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:54 pm

    "As to demographics, my educated guess is: north of 50 YO, males with tolerant wives." I resemble that remark! Also, I have enjoyed my three previous trips to the Tucson area. Love the saguaros.

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by deepee99 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:07 pm

    daveshel wrote:I'm 59, shed the wife years ago.

    Tucson in March would be great. Someone could pick up a sweet pair of Dynaco A50s while they were at it. Too arcane for CL.
    Whaddya want for those A-50s? Original drivers & etc., I assume.

    daveshel

    Posts : 148
    Join date : 2011-11-06
    Location : Tucson AZ USA

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by daveshel on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:20 pm

    deepee99 wrote:
    daveshel wrote:I'm 59, shed the wife years ago.

    Tucson in March would be great. Someone could pick up a sweet pair of Dynaco A50s while they were at it. Too arcane for CL.
    Whaddya want for those A-50s? Original drivers & etc., I assume.

    I've been asking $325.

    tubes4hifi
    Admin

    Posts : 1261
    Join date : 2008-11-30

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by tubes4hifi on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:33 pm

    I've been very tempted this past year to create a map of customers, but I can tell you without doubt that more than 80% are on the east coast of the USA.
    They don't know what they're missing out here in the west!

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by deepee99 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:56 pm

    tubes4hifi wrote:I've been very tempted this past year to create a map of customers, but I can tell you without doubt that more than 80% are on the east coast of the USA.
    They don't know what they're missing out here in the west!
    It might be that the Nor'Easters have to spend the whole winter indoors and need something to do, whereas out west we can actually leave the house from time to time during the winter solstice.

    MontanaWay

    Posts : 767
    Join date : 2014-02-06
    Age : 58
    Location : Cameron, Montana

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by MontanaWay on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:09 pm

    Tucson sounds good to me...I can actually drive there!!

    daveshel

    Posts : 148
    Join date : 2011-11-06
    Location : Tucson AZ USA

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by daveshel on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:58 pm

    MontanaWay wrote:Tucson sounds good to me...I can actually drive there!!

    Really? Seems like all I ever do is sit at red lights!

    MontanaWay

    Posts : 767
    Join date : 2014-02-06
    Age : 58
    Location : Cameron, Montana

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by MontanaWay on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:12 pm

    daveshel wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:Tucson sounds good to me...I can actually drive there!!

    Really? Seems like all I ever do is sit at red lights!

    our nearest set of traffic lights are in the town of West Yellowstone, the western entrance to Yellowstone Mational Park, about 70 miles away.....and the other way, Bozeman, also 70 miles away.... What a Face

    wildiowa

    Posts : 120
    Join date : 2012-03-19

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by wildiowa on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:50 am

    If you guys want to come to Iowa for a weekend I could take two days explaining the Iowa caucuses to you and then we could take a day to talk about tubes and stuff. I am so fried on politics I need a diversion.

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by deepee99 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:10 pm

    MontanaWay wrote:
    daveshel wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:Tucson sounds good to me...I can actually drive there!!

    Really? Seems like all I ever do is sit at red lights!

    our nearest set of traffic lights are in the town of West Yellowstone, the western entrance to Yellowstone Mational Park, about 70 miles away.....and the other way, Bozeman, also 70 miles away.... What a Face

    Wallace, ID has one blnking red light. It's not there to stop traffic, it's to remind us of our glorious past red-light district.

    Doctor Hugocat

    Posts : 75
    Join date : 2015-08-19
    Location : Los Angeles CA

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by Doctor Hugocat on Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:05 pm

    deepee99 wrote:
    It might be that the Nor'Easters have to spend the whole winter indoors and need something to do, whereas out west we can actually leave the house from time to time during the winter solstice.

    Speaking personally, leaving the house in the winter is fine here on the west coast.......leaving it in the summer is something I try not to do. 100 degrees + is too much for me sunny

    deepee99

    Posts : 1260
    Join date : 2012-05-23
    Location : Wallace, Idaho

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by deepee99 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:16 pm

    Doctor Hugocat wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:
    It might be that the Nor'Easters have to spend the whole winter indoors and need something to do, whereas out west we can actually leave the house from time to time during the winter solstice.

    Speaking personally, leaving the house in the winter is fine here on the west coast.......leaving it in the summer is something I try not to do. 100 degrees + is too much for me sunny
    Florida was that for me. Mad dash from the air-conditioned house to the air-conditioned car, then mad dash to the air-conditioned office and vice-versa. Except during hurricane season, when things got more interesting.
    .

    Sponsored content

    Re: Our demographics and geographics

    Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:28 pm


      Current date/time is Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:28 pm