The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
Peter W.
Bob Latino
6 posters

The Foam Factory > acoustic foam for your listening room

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

The Foam Factory > acoustic foam for your listening room Empty The Foam Factory > acoustic foam for your listening room

Post by Bob Latino Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:20 pm

I had a customer mention to me that his room is too hard and "echoey" and the top end on his speakers are a little too bright. He has scatter rugs on a hardwood floor and some drapes but he feels that this is not enough to stop reflections. Now depending on your WAF, (wife acceptance factor) who may or may not like this solution, you could try some acoustical foam. The Foam Factory online has a wide selection of acoustic foam in various styles. They also have bass absorbers if a little too much bass is your problem. I have used their acoustic foam myself. The panels are not too expensive and they kill echos in the room very well. Check them out at the link below.

The Foam Factory online

Bob
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

The Foam Factory > acoustic foam for your listening room Empty Re: The Foam Factory > acoustic foam for your listening room

Post by Peter W. Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:30 pm

Some very nice stuff here. One small quibble on the nature of deep bass: most of those vibrations are pretty much immune to casual room treatments (below say... 60 Hz). This does not mean that this foam is ineffective, but that the SOAF (significant-other-acceptance factor) may be of greater importance when the material is placed.

Thanks for the link! Writing for myself, my present need is low, but knowing such a source is a very good thing!

The Foam Factory > acoustic foam for your listening room Empty Re: The Foam Factory > acoustic foam for your listening room

Post by Guest Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:20 pm

Different source here, but a similar product did a nice job of killing some strangeness in an arch behind the main listening position.

The Foam Factory > acoustic foam for your listening room Acoustic-foam-003

... and I should get honorable mention for tacking carpets to the ceiling ... clown

The Foam Factory > acoustic foam for your listening room Ceiling-carpets-001

Did a nice job of cancelling a hard reflection and bounce off the ceiling there. And it's fun telling people to wipe their feet when they come in the house ... and point up.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:03 pm

Many of us could benefit from a patch of this stuff on each side wall to diffuse early lateral reflections.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:24 am

One trick is to have a helper hold a mirror flat on the wall while you look from your listening position; and move it around to where you can see one and the other loudspeaker in the mirror. That's where you put the antireflective foam, if it doesn't upset the room decor too much or if you live by yourself...or if it's YOUR exclusive listening room!
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:21 pm

I just iBalled the room and taped a weighted string to about where I thought the ceiling "baffles" needed to be, then gave it a swing. When the arc pointed at the tweets AND my pointy little head on the rebound, I was good to go.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:32 pm

Bob,
    Unless you're a stone-cold bachelor, which I think you're not, either, this topic should be banished from the Forum. It has ignited too many fights between the humble toob-o-phile and She Who Will Be Obeyed. Unless, of course, you've got an off-campus man-cave. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:27 am