The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

MkIVs in full bloom

Stevedel
    Stevedel

MkIVs in full bloom Empty MkIVs in full bloom

Post by Stevedel Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:39 pm

Over the winter I finished my second MkIV. The 1st has seen very little use. I was a little disappointed in the sound of my system. Consisting of a refreshed McIntosh C24 preamp, MR7083 tuner and a pair of Rectilinear IIIs. It sounded a little "tubby". I thought maybe that the caps in the speaker crossovers needed attention or that it was the room.

I just tuned to the local college jazz station and let it play. One day this week something was different. The tubby bass was gone. In its place was solid clean bass, crystal highs, wonderfully clear cymbals and a deep focused sound stage. I guess that those .22mfd Silver-in-Oil Mundorf coupling capacitors took a while to settle in.

I just cannot believe the sound of the music that is coming out of this thing. I am one happy camper.
    corndog71
    corndog71

MkIVs in full bloom Empty Re: MkIVs in full bloom

Post by corndog71 Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:13 pm

It's been my experience that those fancy caps can take a 100-200 hours to really sound their best.
    Stevedel
    Stevedel

Post by Stevedel Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:15 pm

It was well worth the wait.

I used the same Mundorf capacitors in a ST35 a few years back. I cannot ask for anything more.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:35 pm