The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Dynaco VTA tube amp kits, all Tubes4hifi.com products and all Dynakitparts.com products

Gooey Chokes

scsidude2

Gooey Chokes

Post by scsidude2 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:40 am

I've noticed the chokes on both my st-70's look a little grungy and dilapidated. I was wondering if there was an easy way to test them and make sure they're operating at the level they should be. Thanks everybody! -Ryan

Bob Latino
    Admin

Re: Gooey Chokes

Post by Bob Latino on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:05 pm

scsidude2 wrote:I've noticed the chokes on both my st-70's look a little grungy and dilapidated. I was wondering if there was an easy way to test them and make sure they're operating at the level they should be. Thanks everybody! -Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Even though the choke may be a little "grungy", it is probably still OK. The way to test them is to measure the resistance across the two leads that are attached to the quad cap. If you measure between 50 ohms and about 65 ohms the choke is fine. If the choke is open (infinite resistance) the amp won't work.

Bob

scsidude2

Post by scsidude2 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks Bob, i figured they were fine as the amp sounds great but just wanted to make sure. -Ryan

PeterCapo

Post by PeterCapo on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:46 pm

If you want to clean them up, get a can of VM&P Naphtha and some Q-tips. Does a nice job improving the appearance. Clean just the metal parts of the choke, not the winding or the wires.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:28 am

Current date/time is Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 am