The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+9
New2Tubez
ArlanB
cci1492
bluemeanies
deepee99
audiobill
jwb474
Bob Latino
wildiowa
13 posters

Voltage regulator vs VARIC vs Power Conditioner

ggriswold

Voltage regulator vs VARIC vs Power Conditioner - Page 2 Empty Re: Voltage regulator vs VARIC vs Power Conditioner

Post by ggriswold Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:16 am

Reviving this older thread. My line voltage goes from 118-122 (have seen 113 VAC to 126 VAC) so I have to chase my Variac all the time. Has anyone found any more recent solutions? One post suggests that running too far under voltage is bad for the tubes. I have the variac set for the highest swings so I don't pop the multi-cap on my ST-120.
    peterh
    peterh

Voltage regulator vs VARIC vs Power Conditioner - Page 2 Empty Re: Voltage regulator vs VARIC vs Power Conditioner

Post by peterh Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:52 am

ggriswold wrote:Reviving this older thread. My line voltage goes from 118-122 (have seen 113 VAC to 126 VAC) so I have to chase my Variac all the time. Has anyone found any more recent solutions? One post suggests that running too far under voltage is bad for the tubes. I have the variac set for the highest swings so I don't pop the multi-cap on my ST-120.
    One solution is to install an UPS , I have a Smart-UPS 1500. It's a straight wire
    when the input voltage within limits, outside limits it will synthesize AC.

I do use it for my computers however as the electrical net in sweden is fairly good and
    power outages is less then one per year. Mains voltage fluctuates ( today) between 233V and 240V
    which is fully acceptable for my stereo.
    ggriswold

Post by ggriswold Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:08 am

I have a UPS but doesn't clamp swings adequately. It is a CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS System, 1000VA/600W.
    Apparently the older ones had a button that took you into a menu that you could set high/ low - this doesn't. Even using the software attached to the UPS won't let you clamp until the line voltage reaches 138 VAC. Don't have a grand to spend on the other suggestions.

Last edited by ggriswold on Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarify)
    Hops

Post by Hops Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:50 pm

JWB474, Who manufactures or sells the lower two items you pictured ( looks like Variacs that regulate output voltages independently of input voltage ) . Do you have names or model numbers for them?

ggriswold likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:25 pm