The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Balanced power

FearOfMusic

Balanced power Empty Balanced power

Post by FearOfMusic Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:01 pm

Has anyone used balanced power with VTA kits? I’m just curious if it will cause issues since the power switch only kills one leg. If I’m understanding things correctly that would leave 60v. If I go that route it will be sequenced so the switches are kind of a non issue but it just got me thinking. Thanks.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Balanced power Empty Re: Balanced power

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:17 pm

are you asking about a balanced isolation transformer, or .....???
    FearOfMusic

Post by FearOfMusic Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:21 pm

Yes a balanced isolation transformer. Like equitech sells.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:35 pm

you'd be better off considering the various Furman models of line conditioners and/or line regulators, http://www.furmanpower.com
    FearOfMusic

Post by FearOfMusic Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:40 pm

It was really just a passing thought on how balanced power would work on a piece of gear that switches one leg for the power switch. I’m running a monster voltage stabilizer. Which is actually pretty awesome despite the Monster name. I just ordered a 1000 watt triad isolation transformer to put in front of that. I’m trying to deal with that last little bit of noise that is due to my power.

Last edited by FearOfMusic on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    FearOfMusic

Post by FearOfMusic Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:42 pm

It’s my understanding that when running balanced power there’s no longer a neutral. It’s 60v on both legs. That just made me wonder how these kits would behave when you tried the switch. Too many questions for me to go down that road but it is an interesting subject for me.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:56 pm

yeah don't know how that would work, never looked at that......you may have to change the power switch on the amp to switch both hot and neutral....not just hot
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:06 pm

Why switch the neutral when there's nothing on it (or should not be; As PeterW has pointed out here, should be 0v on neutral and ground) . Dale
    FearOfMusic

Post by FearOfMusic Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Not when you’re using a balanced power isolation transformer. That’s the point of the post.

peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:35 pm

Dale Stevens wrote:Why switch the neutral when there's nothing on it (or should not be; As PeterW has pointed out here, should be 0v on neutral and ground) . Dale
    In Europe we use 2 phase switches as we never know which side is neutral and which side
    is live. By the simple use of a dual switch we have eliminated all fuzz with polarity of outlets.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:27 am